Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Control your depth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Control your depth

When jig fishing sometimes it's hard to tell how deep that last crappie was or how far down it was when you got snagged on that brush pile. I have a tip that I have been using for about 20 years, every different size jighead is going to fall different , faster or slower. What I do is cast and as soon as the jig hits the water I start counting and don't stop untill it hits the the bottom or brush pile and then start reeling it back in and if you get no bites bring your count up by 1 or 2 ...so if you hit the bottom at a 20 count and didn't get a bite next go to a 18 count and don't let it go to the bottom and keep bringing your cast up by a 2 count untill you get a bite . If you get a bite at a 16 count then keep fishing that depth. Most times crappie hold a depth and this way your fishing your jig at the same depth every time . so if you hit a brush pile at 20 you can fish it at a closer depth without losing all your jigs. Hope this helps someone .

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this info
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

great tip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about all that. I have to take my shoes off to count on that high. Might get a hook in my toe.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.