Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: good day/ bad day

Post Thanks / Like

Default good day/ bad day

ok trying to figure something, out you go fishing 1day and end up with minnows left over so what you do with them can save em for the next trip? I've been eyeballing the 30 gallon fish tank in the den! any ideas
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

The fish tank will work just fine.I have a stream that runs by my house so I put mine in there in the minnow bucket,works well for me.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a gold fish pond, you can leave them in a minnow bucket and put them in the pond until the next time you go fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

no goldfishpond no stream close by either, the thing about the fish tank is I'd have to keep it in the storage building where there's no heat whenever it starts to get cold that is :D thanks to all for the replies I'm gonna figure out something @ a buck 50 a dozen that can get expensive
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 30 gallon round-up drum. You can get these from your local farmer. Most of the time we have a few of these things in the way. Rather give them to someone than throw them away. I cut the top off and then cut a section out to shorten it. Works great. Holds minnows for up to a month in the winter on the same water. In the summer, maybe a week. Got a drum dolly underneath so I can roll it over to a place I can dump it. Rig it with a aquarium aerator in the summer. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Think as long as you filter the water they should last a little wile anyway. However I am sure some here use and know more about minnows than I do.

Sounds like crappiefarmer has a good think going, but Also think you can do the same thing maybe even better with your fish tank since you can filter the water. I would also look into the chemical that reduces ammonia.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Get your self an old insulated cooler about 24-40 qt add a aquarium pump and your good to go. The cooler cleans up easy and with the lid down its dark in it and the minnows dont get as stressed. In the summer add some ice to the water to cool it down add a few at a time as not to shock them. For traveling get a battery operated pump this will help keep them alive and fresh if you have to travel far.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a small electric aquarium pump and just leave them in the minnow bucket overnight. If I have several that I want to save for the next weekend I put them in an aquarium. I started out with a 10 gal. but scooping them out into the bucket at 4:00 a.m. made a mess in the floor and the last 3 or 4 are almost impossible to catch, so I got a 2 gal. that is octagon shaped (I found mine at a yard sale but you can get one at wally world). I just pour the entire minnow bucket into it and turn on the pump, when I'm ready to go fishing I just pour it back into the bucket, very easy and I use the same water I bought them in. They don't need alot of room so 30 gal. is way to big unless you buy minnows by the pound instead of by the dozen. Another thing to consider is that minnows swim along the side of the tank causing them to ram there head into the corner, alot of them die like this. The octongon shape prevents it. If you are really interested in keeping them in bulk, go to the south carolina board and do a search on minnow tanks, some of those guys have got it down to a science.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am