Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How large is the crappie strike zone

Post Thanks / Like

Default How large is the crappie strike zone

Have been catching crappie in 6-12 feet of water using 1/32 and 1/16 oz. plastic jigs. Water clarity is at best one foot.

Any idea what the strike zone of a crappie may be fishing with a crappie jig? Curious, as currently on the lake I'm fishing there are only a half dozen active spots several hundred feet long that are continuously getting hit.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really know, but I do know that the Crappie can see farther in that water than you can. Here is an example I read which was about Bass Vision.

In muddy water a Bass can see 5' to 7', in stained water he can see 15' to 17'.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The strike zone "size" depends on the mood of the fish. As does the speed the bait needs to be retrieved. Of course, water temp plays a part ... as does the Barometric Pressure (on shallow fish), along with the season. And the fish don't even need to "see" the bait, they can feel its pressure waves through their lateral lines ... which tells them proximity & direction.

I'd venture to say that those areas are likely full of migrating schools of Shad, and the Crappie are following

... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ain't never heard of a crappie strike zone.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say they will bite from the top of the zone to the bottom of the zone and all in between. But, I could be speculating a little too. I seem to mostly fish either above
    or below the zone most of the time.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are predators and they feed up. There strike zone is large, however is it worth the effort is another question?
    Are you willing to walk 4 miles for a McD cheese burger, or are there other options closer?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re-phrasing my post.

I'm catching crappie on the bottom in 12' of water that has a visibility of one foot on the surface.

Assuming that crappies locate the jig via eye sight and lateral line how far away can a crappie locate a small jig based on the above conditions?

I've tried to find studies but have not been successful.

Or, am I beating a dead horse?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob385 View Post
    Re-phrasing my post.

I'm catching crappie on the bottom in 12' of water that has a visibility of one foot on the surface.

Assuming that crappies locate the jig via eye sight and lateral line how far away can a crappie locate a small jig based on the above conditions?

I've tried to find studies but have not been successful.

Or, am I beating a dead horse?
    Depends on water temp, as cold water is easier for fish to see in ... but, that condition would only increase the range of sight of the fish, and not necessarily the strike zone. The strike zone, by definition, is the distance a fish will MOVE to strike (eat) a bait. That is determined by the mood of the fish, as an actively feeding fish would move a greater distance than one that was stressed by uncomfortable conditions or fear.
    I think it's safe to say that the fish probably know the jig is THERE, from the moment it enters the water. Their interest level is determined by their mood, and their mood controls the distance of the strike zone. There really isn't any way to determine that distance and put it on a scale/chart, since the prevailing conditions are generally in flux, so the strike zone would potentially change +/- along with the changing conditions.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    The strike zone, by definition, is the distance a fish will MOVE to strike (eat) a bait. That is determined by the mood of the fish, as an actively feeding fish would move a greater distance than one that was stressed by uncomfortable conditions or fear.
    I think it's safe to say that the fish probably know the jig is THERE, from the moment it enters the water. Their interest level is determined by their mood, and their mood controls the distance of the strike zone. There really isn't any way to determine that distance and put it on a scale/chart, since the prevailing conditions are generally in flux, so the strike zone would potentially change +/- along with the changing conditions.

... cp
    What he said!!

Sometimes you have to bump them on the nose to get them to bite! Sometimes, you can just stroll along in the general vicinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I ain't never heard of a crappie strike zone.
    thats them union crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast