Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody ever tried this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anybody ever tried this?

I am fishing a lake that has a ton of crappie suspended right over the thermocline between 12 and 15' in about 35 ' of water I am going to put a light spinning reel and slip bobber on my 12 foot rod. I am thinking that I can move the bobber stop all the way up to 12 feet ahead of the jig. I would then cast a 1/16th oz jig and slowly crawl it through the area. Has anybody else tried this. If so did it work for you?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Will work just fine. Might also try a couple of rigs like that and do a slow drift.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Think that would work really well. Might even try something with a little boot tail for action on a slow drift.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not necessarily done that, but I have long line trolled water as deep as 20' with a 1/32 Oz Roadrunner and the suspended fish come up to get it. I do that at the same speed I would fishing 6' of water as well.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Friday we were trolling crankbaits in a similar situation. Water was 18-25 feet deep, cranks were trolled at 12-15ft deep. We caught Crappie from barely 5" long to over 13" long. They were on deep flats that had a heavy presence of Shad schools, and were relating to the schools of Shad rather than the brushpiles on those flats. The following day we spider rigged minnows at around 15-20 ft deep, in the same areas. Cranks caught more, but the minnows worked good, as well. Some of those minnows were on plain hooks, while others were used to tip jigs with plastics.

So yeah ... your idea should produce some fish.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

With fish suspended at those depths I would be longlining 1/16oz jigs and a #5 split shot at 1 mph through them looking for aggressive fish.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

Post Thanks / Like

Dutch,

When you say long lining do you mean trolling with a bait way in back of the boat say 100' or 150' feet like you troll for walleyes?

Post Thanks / Like

When I long line my little roadrunners they are behind the boat! but not that far back. I have it back about at far as I can cast it. I have used 1/16 as well, but still not that far back. If it's windy I even go to a 1/8 oz and just hold it right next to the boat. It will still trail back some, but not much and they will hit it!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

We call it tugging on Ky. Lake. Very good technique. They call it float and fly on Dale Hollow where it started for suspended smallmouth years ago. I like fishing with a cork when you need a finesse approach!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a try. That's why they call it fishing. It may work today and be the best fishing that you have ever had and then it will never work again. what works today may never work again.
    Indiana Crappie Federation Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast