Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting docks

Shooting docks, jig fishing docks can be very productive if done right.i like to start at the back poles of the dock . Crappie put there nose to these poles in the shady side thinking they are hid. Bring a few poles riged up with different size jigheads ,when fishing shallow I use a 1/64 jighead with a sickle hook . Try casting past the desired pole at least 5 feet to allow your light jig to get to the bottom, do a full turn of the reel fast then stop letting a bow get in the line wait a few seconds and repeat this pattern all the way back to the boat. If the pattern is done right and if the fish is there you will see the bite in the bow part of the line kinda like site fishing , I will use a colored line such as yellow or gold and light weight such as 4lb. Keep hitting the poles in different angles . Then move to the front poles with a heavier jig maybe 1/32 or a 1/16 depending on how deep, if over 15 ft do 2 full turns then let it settle watch the bow in your line for that little twitch of the bite. This works real good to get the reaction bite going.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool info I've been standing in top of a dock and throwing it under but I just reel it really slow and pick them up sometimes... I wonder if I could do the same technique on top of the dock... Probably does the yellow line really help a lot...

Post Thanks / Like

The yellow line helps when you don't feel the bite and you watch the line for a bite. I fish ontop of a pier when it's the spawn and you can fish it the same but casting under from the top you can't see the bow in your line as good . There are times crappie bite so light you don't feel the bite and if you watch your line you will catch more fish when jig fishing

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    Cool info I've been standing in top of a dock and throwing it under but I just reel it really slow and pick them up sometimes... I wonder if I could do the same technique on top of the dock... Probably does the yellow line really help a lot...
    It can be done ... you just have to get your rod down as close to the water as possible & shoot from any angle that allows you to get the jig back in underneath the dock. You can also pick up fish by Vertical Casting the outer dock posts, inside edges of boat slips, walkway posts, pontoon boats moored at the dock, etc. ( Vertical Casting = Crappie Pappy Article )

Colored line allows you to see very slight movements in your line, so if you're a line watcher or you swim the jig on a slow retrieve ... then it's a great help in seeing the light tics in the line.

I sometimes use my 7' med action rod, that has 10/2 PowerPro braid on the reel, while walking the marina boat slip dock. I've found that if I have a split-shot sinker about 6-8" above the 1/16oz weedless jig ... I can pitch or flip it, even Vertical Cast with it, and even light hits feel like serious "thumps". And even though the braid is yellow, I don't really need to watch the line, as the lightest of hits are magnified by the braid/sinker and easily felt through the rod. If I take the sinker off the line, then I'm back to watching the colored line for those same hits ... just like I would be if using mono. When you're swimming the jig, there's a bow in the line, and that "slack" diminishes the feel of the hit, somewhat ... so line watching is a bigger factor, then. A sinker isn't necessary when Vertical Casting, since your jig is straight down from your rod tip & the line is relatively straight/taut ... so it transmits the hit to the rod tip, good enough to feel light strikes. You'd only need to watch the line, while Vertical Casting, when the bites are "lift bites" and cause the line to go slack.

Also ... when you catch a couple, and can determine the depth they're suspended at, you can vertical jig at that depth ... or simply walk slowly along the edge of the dock & drag the jig along, flicking the line every now & then (or slightly shaking the rod tip). But, that all depends on the whereabouts of the fish under the dock. The most shaded areas are the most likely areas to hold fish !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Very good tips thanks