Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Size of Live Bait Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size of Live Bait Tank

I'm close to buying an Engel tank and have read every post and thread I could find for pros and cons. My only concern is the size. I think the 19 quart is big enough for 2 people using minnows. But how about small brim or shad for catfish? For only $10 more I get the 30 quart with lots more capacity. Maybe it's very heavy when full, but why not have 2 dozen minnows in 5" of water? Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it depends on how you will use the tank. From boat weight shouldn't be an issue. Carrying it to a remote location weight is a huge factor. That being said the more water in the tank the better. Helps the bait stay healthier longer. What ever works best for your type of fishing should be the one you get.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JW! I reckon the 30 is best for my boat. Don't know why I'm getting so indecisive in my old age.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 30 and it holds 2 lbs minnows easy

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished with Kent Driscoll (BnM prostaff) and he uses the small one. They fish Grenada a lot using only 4 inch minnows with several lbs in it and says it does fine.