Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig fishing

Jig fishing at night

Night fishing for Crappie has been a passion for many fishermen threw out the states. Most anglers use minnows with multiple rods and target the depth the crappies are in. After years of jig fishing the spawn for crappies I decided to fish at night with only jigs, that ment leave the long lines at home. When setting up for a night of fishing I target a deep ledge of the river channel. Now you need to setup by dropping your lights in the water and I like my lights as close to the top of the water as possible , you will always draw bait to light but I like to draw it as close to the top as I can , so I can fish under the bait not in it. When jig fishing with only one rod it's very easy for your jig to get lost in the bait so get your bait to the top . Lots of anglers give up and thank the fish are not biting , I'm a true believer fish will always be willing to eat when there is bait for them to eat. So after about a hour you should have drew a lot of bait to the lights.Fishing time, I use 1/32 jigheads with a number 6 hook I know this seems small but you want that slow down fall . You get more action the lighter the jigheads , kinda like a feather if you drop a feather it drifts back and forth at a slow fall untill it hits the ground , if you tie a rock to that feather its straight to the ground no side to side action. The jig fishing is the same . After you get your jig all the way to the bottom slows start reeling ,so slowly it's almost stoped and after a few turns give it a light twitch keep pressure on the reel handle so your staying in contact with your jig don't be in a hurry. Work it all the way to the top and then keep repeating this style and it will pay off. Try using 4 lb line and a medium action rod around 6.5 foot. You will feel more and have better control with the stiffer action rod . If you are using a light action rod use a heavier jighead like 1/16 . Pearl is a great color to start with and do t be scared to use black at night , I've cought some of my biggest on black. Another tip if you can extend your light on a pole maybe 5 foot away from the boat it gives you 360 fishing all around it . Good luck and thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I love night fishing, but have not tried just jigs, I like to use both at the same time, same rig, but I have been tHinking about just what you said here. What made me think this was when I tied a mayfly jig and knowing the crappie will eat them I couldn't help but think about using a small mayfly jig and let tint it's sink slow or maybe tying one in a different stage more like before they get wings. I also want to try just what you said here,

Thanks for sharing,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Now you've gone and done it cutbait! Another crappie thing I MUST try.
    thanks
    Brad
    Seek first to understand, not to be understood.

Post Thanks / Like

It works but you have to leave the minnow poles at home so you have no choice but to jig fish and I'm a strong believer if a man fishes jigs at night he will out catch the minnow setup

Post Thanks / Like

Even fishing both jig and minnow on double rig I usually catch something like 75% of the larger ones on the jig. I kind of look at the minnow as food for the smaller crappie and thinking if they get to hitting it will push the bigger fish to hit.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I have tipped jigs with minnows in the past thinking it help me catch more fish and over time I realized the fish was going to hit the jig or the minnow he wasn't after both so I left the minnow off the menu and the result was the same he still went for the jig and I have done the same with a minnow same results. .and now I only use jigs and catch more fish and save lots more money. If you catch more fish tipping a jig then it goes to show he wants one or the other . And this is just what I have noticed in our local lakes

Post Thanks / Like

I don't tip jigs with a minnow. I use a jig on the bottom for weigh and bait and something like 14" to 18" above that I use a drop shot hook for the minnow.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good setup

Post Thanks / Like

cutbait,

You are so right about a 6 1/2' medium action rod. I've been using a UL and L spin ...... but no good at all in deep water!

Today at WalMart I purchased a 6 1/2' Pinnacle Platinum Plus with a Pinnacle bait casting reel (5 BB's, level wind) usually $59, but on sale for $41.69! LOL Sure, it's made in China, but wonderful quality!

I've spent $200 on my Stradic Ci4 and $100 on my St Croix UL! My Helios fly rod cost me $800! LOL I must be crazy!

Also, I should say that Power Pro is $13.95 in WalMart. It's $19.95 in all the sporting stores.

Tomorrow, I'll be doing some deep drop shotting.

Tight Lines,