Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preventing rod loss while longline trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default preventing rod loss while longline trolling

Anybody ever use rod/pole floats to prevent the loss of equipment? I recently purchased hi-tek rod holders and they have been great for night fishing and spider rigging but I'm somewhat hesitant about longline trolling and pulling cranks. I've read about the L-shaped hanger modification but was wondering if a pool noodle might save me some time and a few $$$. Rod wrap is pretty expensive compared to the 20 cent it would cost me for a pool noodle. Also, what about rod leashes aka cable cuffs?

Post Thanks / Like

If you can stand the look they should work. I hold my rods in my hand so only put them in my rod holders if I have something else I need to do.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the standard HiTeks (deeper ones weren't out then) about 3 years ago and have trolled Bandits and longlined pretty much exclusively since getting them. I am yet to lose a rod and have caught catfish over 10, drums over 15, LMB over 6, something that I couldn't even slow down several times, and hung up countless times. Losing rods was a concern at first but it doesn't enter my mind now.

I use long handle rods off the sides and trigger grip casting rods off the back.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sliding the casting rods way back in the holder so that the trigger acts as a security feature? That's an idea that I hadn't thought of; however I only own 2 or 3 trigger grip rods. Pretty much all of my crappie rods are for open face spinning reels. At 20 cent each I'll probably try the noodles as cheap insurance until I feel comfortable. And no, I don't care about how it looks; better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the rod float's from BPS work good.

Post Thanks / Like

Put them rods in there and go fishing. They'll hold.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

BnM PST12, 14 and 16 with Shimano IX1000 or2000, they float! I know, I have dropped several!

Monk
    Monk's Crappie

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1/2 inch water pipe insulation about 12 in long. Plastic wire tie each end then wrap with electrical tape. Lot smaller and will float with line counter reels on PST's.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Already picked up the noodles. Sliced them open while rotating to make the cut look something like the stripe on a barber's pole and I don't think I will need tape or zip ties. Makes for easier removal when not needed.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Pipe Insulation and wrap tight with black tape.......found three last year.....lost one that did not have flotation.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast