Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS suggestion

Hello
    I did a search, but latest info seems to be circa 2004.

I am looking for suggestions on a handheld gps for my boat. I will be using it to return to waypoints. I had a magellan meridian gold, but I found it was too complicated, so I gave it to one of the local crab fisherman. (I don't think he has learned to use it yet

I am under the impression that a foggy day could mask out the satellites.. Is this correct or isthe sensitivity of the receivers able to detect thru the for??

Anyhow I would appreciate some feed back on something simple to use (if there is such a thing).

Thanks.....Bridges
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bridges,

I'm realtively new to GPS but I've got a Lowrance iFinder H20 with the grayscale displace. This is the only GPS I have ever had but I find it not too hard to work. It has an Easy and an Advanced mode. I chose it after searching this forum for discussions about GPS and other peoples' opinions. I wanted one primarily to help me find spots on the lake, but I also wanted it for use while on the land. And I wanted it to have a pretty good maps capability. Enough people suggested this one for the purposes I've mentioned that I decided to get it. I found it on the internet for around $170, or $220 with a mapping software package (highly recommended). Also make sure to get the 12 volt power cable as it tends to eat up the batteries very quickly if you're using the backlight. I'll be glad to send you the web address if you want it.

Another important reason I wanted a GPS was to help me find my way back to the lauch. Even when it's its clear, being out on a big lake at night can be confusing, not to mention if it gets foggy. In the past I have gotten "very" lost on the lake when the fog set in. Last Friday night we were out and the fog began to move in. Using the GPS I was able to follow my outbound trail right back to the dock without a problem. I believe I read in the manual that fog and clouds do not affect the ability of the GPS to communicate with the satellites.

Hope this helps.

Eddie
    Last edited by eddiebhome; 10-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

I run a towboat & we have gps nav. on here. I have never noticed a loss of signal due to fog. Heavy rain; maybe.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All...

Eddie..I found the Lowrance iFinder H20 on Bass pro shops for $169, I'll give that a closer look later today, after I come back from fishin'. It does not include the mapping package, so if you could either post that link or email me, I would appreciate it.

ok "Sac-A-Lait" here I come.

Bridges
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

I have a garmin e trex legend and love it it is simple to use and puts you in the sweet spot everytime.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to agree with eddie and guppy on the H2O I have 1 myself and it's gotten me back to the boat ramp several times. I also have the Hotmaps card which cost about 100 bucks and is a great tool also!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I like my e-trex legend, also..........easy to use and has some memory.......
    :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought on what to avoid...the new Rhino hand held talkers with gps capability are nice. However, recently on a hunting trip one Rhino was there and we wanted to make sure we were all planning to meet in the right spot. I tried for 30 minutes and I could not call up the actual coordinates on the Rhino. Maybe I missed it but I swear we went through every menu. I like some of the other features but if I cannot view the coordinates, I don't need it.

And, no, fog won't affect GPS signals. Tree's/bldg's/vehicles, yes. But not fog or clouds.

Post Thanks / Like

You can`t go wrong with the H2O. I have had mine since they first came out and just love it. Check out www.tigergps.com they have some good prices.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

I have an H2O and love it also. I bought the MapCreate 6.3 pack afterwards and it is a good addition for me. It will take me door to door from home to wherever I need to go. Also....having the MapCreate program forced me to learn the H2O better in order to get full benefit of the mapping program. Together they are really handy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast