Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Piles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Piles

What do you guys make your piles out of? We have used bamboo for years but I am just wondering if there might be better options.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fishhound1 View Post
    What do you guys make your piles out of? We have used bamboo for years but I am just wondering if there might be better options.
    I make mine out of fillets

No, wait .... you're talking about cover "never mind"

But seriously ... there's a whole forum on this !! And from what I've read : PVC, cedar trees, bamboo, palettes, wooden stakes, piles of tree limbs, and a whole bunch of other stuff has been used. I don't know as there's a "better option" ... so long as you put that cover in the appropriate place, and it's legal to do so. That & understand that once it's in the water ... it's "public property" (& with today's electronics, likely to be found & fished fairly quickly).

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Stakebeds are easy to build and last a long time , they cause less hang ups also.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Got these ready to help a buddy put out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

As far as "longevity" underwater, PVC and cement (most states do not allow tires or metal); then in order osage orange (20+ yrs), locust, cedar (15+), ash, oak, hickory, mulberry (10-12+), Christmas ("C") trees between (4-6). Cut pine 2X 4 boards can last 5-8 yrs. It also depends on the fertility of the body of water; new gravel pits tend to be semi infertile, while swamps are VERY fertile. Depth and water temperatures also affect longevity...thicker less dense cover attracts fewer but bigger fish, while denser natural cover acts as nurseries for juvenile fish. And before "writing off" the denser natural cover, remember no crappie hatches out at 10" long...during the spawn, cover is a HUGE draw for "big-uns". (Actually, PVC set on the deep end of a row of naturals is THE spot to fish...)