PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Piles

1fishhound1
09-18-2013, 10:53 AM
What do you guys make your piles out of? We have used bamboo for years but I am just wondering if there might be better options.

CrappiePappy
09-18-2013, 11:12 AM
What do you guys make your piles out of? We have used bamboo for years but I am just wondering if there might be better options.

I make mine out of fillets :Rofl

No, wait .... you're talking about cover :Doh: "never mind"

But seriously ... there's a whole forum on this !! And from what I've read : PVC, cedar trees, bamboo, palettes, wooden stakes, piles of tree limbs, and a whole bunch of other stuff has been used. I don't know as there's a "better option" ... so long as you put that cover in the appropriate place, and it's legal to do so. That & understand that once it's in the water ... it's "public property" (& with today's electronics, likely to be found & fished fairly quickly).

... cp :kewl

NIMROD
09-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Stakebeds are easy to build and last a long time , they cause less hang ups also.:twocents

buffalo13
09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Got these ready to help a buddy put out.

Lowellhturner
09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
As far as "longevity" underwater, PVC and cement (most states do not allow tires or metal); then in order osage orange (20+ yrs), locust, cedar (15+), ash, oak, hickory, mulberry (10-12+), Christmas ("C") trees between (4-6). Cut pine 2X 4 boards can last 5-8 yrs. It also depends on the fertility of the body of water; new gravel pits tend to be semi infertile, while swamps are VERY fertile. Depth and water temperatures also affect longevity...thicker less dense cover attracts fewer but bigger fish, while denser natural cover acts as nurseries for juvenile fish. And before "writing off" the denser natural cover, remember no crappie hatches out at 10" long...during the spawn, cover is a HUGE draw for "big-uns". (Actually, PVC set on the deep end of a row of naturals is THE spot to fish...)