Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longlining question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining question.

Never have done this before, been reading up on it. What about using a bobber? (floats for you southerners) I would think that without a bobber that when I stopped to land a fish my other lines would sink to the bottom and very possibly snag.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

they will sink but i very seldom get hung up on the bottom. the problem i see with using floats is your jigs wont get down to the depth you need them to, you would still have to have another 50 feet out behind your float

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining

Most people use floating lures. ie Bandit 200 series or Hot n tots. Then when you stop they will float to the top. Just my 2 cents.
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

I use floats while trolling in shallow water. Otherwise, I want my rigs deeper like Crappieday said. The float really keeps it shallow, if you want it deeper you need to either go super slow or let more line out below the float.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    Never have done this before, been reading up on it. What about using a bobber? (floats for you southerners) I would think that without a bobber that when I stopped to land a fish my other lines would sink to the bottom and very possibly snag.
    dont stop the boat while landing a fish. get yourself a quality variable speed trolling motor and leave it running the whole time you're fishing/landing fish. the only time i use corks is when i pull jigs is in 9-10 ft of water or less to make controlling depth a little easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I never use floats even in very shallow water. Like abarkley said earlier, don't stop the trolling motor for any reason as long as you have lines in the water. Get some sort of GPS unit to tell you how fast you are going and once you catch fish at a certain speed, try and keep as close as possible to that speed. Use light 4 to 6 lb. line so if you get hung that the line breaks instead of it stopping the boat. A variable speed trolling motor is a must when longlining and if I had my choice it would be a Minn Kota w/ autopilot hands down. Once you get your speed the autopilot keeps you traveling in a straight line. You might try typing in longlining in the search at the top of the board. There should be some more in depth discussions on previous post. I hope this helps you some.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

crappiechappy.....I could not have said It better.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".