Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most favored weather for catching crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the most favored weather for catching crappie?

Today there are clear skies and a stiff breeze. I wouldn't expect numbers after the cold front moved in last night dropping temps to the upper 40's and water temp to 69. Yesterday - totally different! Periods of bright sun and then cloud cover of between 30-50 % in the morning; wind from 3-10mph. Later in the day 90% clouds, light breeze in wind protected coves which produced 60 or more shallow panfish - crappie, white perch and sunfish.

The fish congregated around clusters of pads in water 3-5', some schooled in open water in the late afternoon. If the weather condition was not as ideal, I have my doubts fishing would have been that easy - most fish hitting a variety of lure types. Being in the right place at the right time and place can make all the difference, time equating being time of day and the time period when the weather encourages the greatest fish activity. It's like a magic switch was pulled.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Any weather is good weather for catching them. Some of it isn't so nice if you aren't catching any.

My experience is that the best fishing is when it is a little to cold to be comfortable on the water when you are dressed like you were on land or a little too windy to not have to fight the boat.

Best day I ever had fishing for crappie was wearing a down coat, face mask, ski pants and pac boots and I ended up with burns on my cheeks from the tears the wind caused.

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I'm older I prefer overcast days with the temperature in the mid 70's, low 80's without rain or much wind. :0

When I was younger any day I could get on the water was a good day, regardless of the actual weather.

But I have caught crappie in blowing snow and in heat so hot I had to keep soaking my hat to try and keep cool. And that was in the shade of bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

i've found the weather isn't so much the factor as the time of day. if i can get out there about 8am or around 5-6pm i can pull them in non stop for a few hours, but any other time of day i have a harder time.
    yesterday morning was windy, but blowing out to lake not shore and not so much it was brutal and it was cloud covered and pretty cool. it didn't seem like much of a day for fishing, but i like to be out when it's not so crowded in my spot (i fish off a dock, not a boat). can't stand having other yahooos around in my spot!
    i do have a theory that they like to hang around the dock when it's windy to take a little shelter and find some easy food. good thing they don't realize that food's a little toooo easy, if you know what i mean!

Post Thanks / Like

Dark of the moon. now it's full moon and i'm not catching but still fishing

Post Thanks / Like

The worst time I have found is the first 6 to 8 hours after a strong front, other than that, I can catch them under most conditions. May have to change up a Little but give me a little time and I will find them. Some of my best days were in the winter time with air temps in the 20's to 30's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    Dark of the moon. now it's full moon and I'm not catching but still fishing
    During the full moon, fish in the middle part of the day. During "the day of the full moon", they'll bite all day long, I try to fish that day every month. Fished Monday, caught them all day long, you wouldn't believe me if I told you how many we caught !!!! Tomorrow is the full moon, hope I get to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't retired yet. Weather has no bearing on when I go. If I ain't working and I can get up on Saturday before Mrs DP, the weather will be fine to go fishing.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

The best weather for fishing is the worst weather for the fisherman. My biggest catch of the biggest crappie so far in my life occurred in sub freezing temps, with snow falling (not much wind thankfully) with ice forming in the rod guides.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

That depends on the waters you fish. I love winter fishing on some lakes . But my home lake in summer the hotter the weather the better I do. Lots of times here I go out in the midday heat while everyone else complains and throws in the towel. Fish when you have time as they must eat but it is up to you to figure them out.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast