Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lure body mold pouring question

Post Thanks / Like

Default lure body mold pouring question

so bought me a lure body mold. and I made some to night and I had some trouble pouring them from my hot pot 2 and I probably should have fluxed my lead but I was wondering if I shouldn't use my lee production pot to pour them in stead and should I buy extra core shafts I know there cheap. how do yall pour these lure bodies I think they should of used a single pull pin like in the bullet weight mold that's just my own opinion but I'm curies to hear how yall pour these lure bodies thanks C.J.
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I have extra shafts and use a bottom pour ladle like this lyman no probs for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the extra wires and pour them using your bottom pour - if you're going to powder paint them leave them on the wires, I bend part of the wire to an L shape so I can dip them into the powder easier.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Fatman I ordered some core shafts 2 days ago so they should me at the house today and going to try and make some today hopefully if the little ones will let me have some daddy time!!

Post Thanks / Like

CJ - Once you get them poured just pull them down the wire a bit and make your L bend for dipping - I use aluminum bread pans for curing my jigs and I just push the long wire through the foil pan and the body is over the inside of the pan. After I cure I pull them off the wires and use .029 - .031 wire to make up my shafts for the spinners themselves.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's some of the finished ones
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

wow Those look good how do u get ur last twist do u use a bender or do it by hand?

Post Thanks / Like

and do u ever reuse ur core shafts?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a worth hand forming tool to start the shape of the loop put my treble on then use needle nose to form the loop - i like at least 3 turns of wire. Put your stuff on the wire and then I have an OLD Netcraft wire forming tool that I got back in the 1980s and use that to finish the top eyelet. I don't use all the core pins to start painting. Only 10 or 15 - if you do it right you can keep re-using the wires you bent into the L shape over and over - IF you don't put them away where you cant find them!!!

Always tie your trebles up first!!! then assemble your spinners. Your fingers will like you a whole lot better if you do!!LOL

Post Thanks / Like

got my production pot all cleaned up last night and man what a big difference from using the hit pot 2 then using the production pot to pour the lure bodies and is there a certain length that you leave ur wire forms before u finish your lures Fatman do u cut them down before to a magic length before u make ur final bend?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I use brass brazing rod for my wire shafts in sinkers and lure bodies . Got some cheap at the flea .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast