Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spinning rod/reel for casting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning rod/reel for casting

i am just getting back into fishing and would appreciate some feedback on a good spinning rod and reel for casting small crankbaits and jigs. I am looking for something under $100. Looking for something that will give me some distance on my casts. I will use 6 lb test line for the occasional bass and catfish. Will be fishing from a boat so will have room for a longer rod if that is the best solution. Will use it some for vertical jigging also, but mostly small crankbaits and jigs for crappie and bream. I have searched some of older posts but some are a few years old. Thanks in advance for any input.

JB

Post Thanks / Like

Jiggin' / crankbaits & bass / catfish. That is 3 different setups in my opinion. Don't buy something that is going to be mediocre in 3 areas. Spend it on something that will be awesome in 1. Then save up, get the next one, rinse, repeat!

My preference:

Single pole jiggin': 7'6" BPS MicroLite Rod, Pflueger 6925 reel.

Bass: 7' St. Croix Mojo Med-Fast, BPS Pro Qualifier reel.

Catfish: Big Ole Pole, Big Ole Reel (or winch).

Post Thanks / Like

Rod: 6'6" ML St. Croix Triumph from LL Bean $70 free shipping . ( this is a two piece rod , but I love mine)
    Reel : Shimno Sienna 2500 $29.99 just about everywhere . Dicks Sporting goods carries them .
    $70+29.99 =$99.99 best buy for under $100 , IMO . gillchaser

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saltine View Post
    Jiggin' / crankbaits & bass / catfish. That is 3 different setups in my opinion. Don't buy something that is going to be mediocre in 3 areas. Spend it on something that will be awesome in 1. Then save up, get the next one, rinse, repeat!

My preference:

Single pole jiggin': 7'6" BPS MicroLite Rod, Pflueger 6925 reel.

Bass: 7' St. Croix Mojo Med-Fast, BPS Pro Qualifier reel.

Catfish: Big Ole Pole, Big Ole Reel (or winch).
    Guess I confused you. Not trying to catch the bass or catfish just sometimes they bite my crappie bait!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

2000 series reel, Phleuger president is a nice one but not the only one. 6'6" lightning rod in medium action with a soft tip, the soft tip makes the light jigs easy to cast. Any rod that balances good with a soft tip will fill the bill. Some backbone in the middle makes the surprise fish easier to handle, UL action I find too soft for this.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the 7ft sams from bnm but I bought some 7ft daiwa spinmattics that are way better after your cut 3 or 4 inches off the handle. the only reel I could recommend after all the troubles ive had is the daiwa crossfire 1000. that rig is only about 60 or 80 bucks. I don't really remember the price. I bought them separate. I cast allot and that rig holds up.
    Happy Hooken.....

Post Thanks / Like

I will add one thing to my above comment. I only use 4lb test and have had no trouble landing a 33 inch channel cat and several nice 3 to 4 lb bass. just sayen
    Happy Hooken.....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the input fellas...