Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Performing Site Searches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Performing Site Searches

I am a relatively a new person on this site and to Crappie fishing. So I am really jumping all over this site to find information when I have questions or when I see things that interest me. The information I am finding is great and I want to thank all for contributing. Much of it is from pass posts over say 1 yr old. Often when I'm searching and reading links or attachments are not working or show that they were removed. Whats going on with that? I know Crappie.Com has not control over linked web sites as they so what they do. But why are attachment removed? Is this a memory space thing or ?? I ask because others have commented to the value of the attachment and then I think dang I missed out on some good stuff. Other than that I am enjoying this site and have been hammered by my wife because of my new obsession...HA HA glad she is smaller than me.

Post Thanks / Like

At first I was simply going to answer "because some members use other sites to host their pictures". I always just recommend hosting them here so that particular issue does not happen where the images disappear from the hosting site.

But seeings how you mention that specifically already, and you talk about "attachment removed", I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. Can you provide a URL example.

The space allowed here for attachments is rather large, and I only know of one person (CrappiePro) that has reached that. Once he reached it, I increased it anyway. And the only one that can delete attachments are moderators. But deleting attachments is not something done on a regular basis. There no reason to delete attachments unless it's a photo that breaks the rules. So I guess if you have a URL example, that would help me. Thanks
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Well some people post a picture from their photo account like Photobucket that I use a lot and if they happen to move that picture on that account, it will no longer show on here. I almost never move mine just because of that, but some can't seem to help moving pictures for some reason.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    At first I was simply going to answer "because some members use other sites to host their pictures". I always just recommend hosting them here so that particular issue does not happen where the images disappear from the hosting site.

But seeings how you mention that specifically already, and you talk about "attachment removed", I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. Can you provide a URL example.

The space allowed here for attachments is rather large, and I only know of one person (CrappiePro) that has reached that. Once he reached it, I increased it anyway. And the only one that can delete attachments are moderators. But deleting attachments is not something done on a regular basis. There no reason to delete attachments unless it's a photo that breaks the rules. So I guess if you have a URL example, that would help me. Thanks
    Hi Slab,
    You might had already answered the question I dont know cause I am not that computer savy. I don't know if this is what you need to see what I am speaking of but the page link for the thread is this
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Once you're on this thread go to Post #'s 22, 37 & 103. These are examples but I have seen this on different location also.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2Bad View Post
    Hi Slab,
    You might had already answered the question I dont know cause I am not that computer savy. I don't know if this is what you need to see what I am speaking of but the page link for the thread is this
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Once you're on this thread go to Post #'s 22, 37 & 103. These are examples but I have seen this on different location also.

Thanks
    #22 I don't see pics there, only links.
    #37 has no pics either, just a link to another post that has a photobucket pic in it that is no longer available at photobucket.
    103 has a photo bucket pic thats also gone.

Exactly why we need to host our images here and not on another server. That's why I just removed the "Tapatalk Hosted" option when posting pics from the mobile application called Tapatalk.

I hope that answers your question. Those are images hosted elsewhere.
    Last edited by Slab; 09-13-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Thanks Slab,

Thanks I think I got it. I didn't understand that Photobuck was another site or URL... You did answer my question and educated me at the same time. So perhaps you can tell me. If someone want to post something that they may have found elsewhere what would the proper steps be? Should they make a copy of what ever it is to their computer and then when posting on Crappie.com using the image they copied to our computers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2Bad View Post
    Okay Thanks Slab,

Thanks I think I got it. I didn't understand that Photobuck was another site or URL... You did answer my question and educated me at the same time. So perhaps you can tell me. If someone want to post something that they may have found elsewhere what would the proper steps be? Should they make a copy of what ever it is to their computer and then when posting on Crappie.com using the image they copied to our computers.
    If you found it somewhere else, it's really not your image. So you can post it here and use the "From URL" Insert Image option. But "Your" own images should all be uploaded here in my opinion.
    Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is to credit the image and load it here on the site. You would do that by saving the image to your hard drive, and then uploading it to crappie.com and when you post the image, you also post the URL where you found it. This way, if the image does disappear, there's a copy of it here, and the location of the original image is documented.
    Owner