Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Cranks

Please keep in mind that I have never trolled with cranks before so I have a few questions. I bought some of the weights from ScottV and I think I am about ready to give it a whirl when I get back from Afghanistan. Here are my questions:

1. With the weights I bought from Scott does it matter which size crankbait I use (Bandit 100, 200 or 300).

2. I'll be fishing at a controlled depth so I don't think I would need a deep diving crankbait to go along with the weight, correct?

3. Do you guys usually front pole or long line with them?

4. How long of a leader after the weight should I use?

Sorry for the questions, I'm sure I'll have more as I experiment. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No.
    No.
    Front.
    It comes with the leader.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with Scott's weights. I am not too high tech with trolling. I use 8 lbs line. I only have four poles, 2 in front, and 2 in back cast as far as they will go. The two front ones are weighted with a 1/2 to 3/4 onz egg sinker above a leader that is 18" long. I only let these out about 20 feet.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ask scottv or major in sippie
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What ATM said. Actually when pushing I prefer the 100's. I also have a few small Manns Wake baits I use. They are designed to only run just under the surface for Bass fishing. They have a real wide wobble and can be pushed real slow.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! It's a new technique for me and I would like for it to be successful!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the MS board and read the sticky......crankbaits 101
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    What ATM said. Actually when pushing I prefer the 100's. I also have a few small Manns Wake baits I use. They are designed to only run just under the surface for Bass fishing. They have a real wide wobble and can be pushed real slow.
    Sounds like something I'd like to give a try.
    Thanks
    Brad
    Seek first to understand, not to be understood.

Post Thanks / Like

Mac:

Are you going to be pulling them or gonna try pushing them? Have been wanting to try the pushing technique.

Couple years ago fishing Roosevelt in December I tried pulling Bandit 300's w/ line counter reels with some limited success. Using the Bandit depth chart I had about 150-200 ft of line out trolling the river channel in the area between the mouth of Salome Cove & Windy Hill including trolling around Steamboat Rock. That's when the lake had a lot more water in it so I was trolling open water in +100' of water. I actually did pick up two Crappie that were suspended around 20' or so. People thought I was crazy & shook their heads when I mentioned that I was fishing over 100' of water.

I only tried this a couple times when I was fishing solo as I like to try some "outside the box" techniques when fishing alone. I don't try this stuff with a backseat as I don't think they have the patience to give this stuff a try. But I do think this pushing crankbaits thing can work out here....

LLL
    Da Bears...

Post Thanks / Like

I use scotts weights on a 10 ft rod at mid ship on each side and pull 300s out the back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast