Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly?

Does Anyone Fly Fish For Crappie? If So What Fly Works?

Post Thanks / Like

Dixieangler does!

For crappie, all you need is a 5wt and some small streamer patterns like a Clouser Minnow.

But here's a good link to more info on crappie fly fishing. Click on "Features", "Panfish". Scroll down to the bottom of Rick's current article and click on "Archive of Panfish". Scroll down some more and you'll see "Rick's Favorite Crappie Flies" (1&2).

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Post Thanks / Like

If So What Fly Works?
    That's like saying, "what jig works?" . As Kevin said, a Clouser Minnow is a good choice because it has similar motion to a jig. Other streamer patterns may also be a good choice. I would try the same colors and sizes you would normally use for jigs. I've been told that white Specks (we don't have them in Florida) feed almost exclusively on minnows, small fry, etc. while black Specks in addition to minnows, small fry, etc. will bite insects so insect fly patterns may work also. Best of luck.

Here are a few examples (links below):

Clouser Minnow

Crappie Candy

Flashabou Steamer - Gold

The Marabou Miss

Cypert's Mylar Minnow

A couple of article links other than those on FAOL (Kevin listed the link above):

A Calico Time of Year

Wet Flies for Big 'Gills and Crappies

Fish Photos - 2006
    Last edited by dixieangler; 10-07-2006 at 02:49 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

According to dixieangler, our "specks" must be black:rolleyes: , as they do succumb to woolybuggers, chronimids, prince nymphs, damsel nymph immi's, and several other bug type flies, along with the various minnow immi's that get tossed at'em.
    Seems that often finding their "level" is more important than finding "the" fly....or at least AS important.
    .....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lee,

I think the young white Specks eat insects but when grown they only eat minnows, small fry, etc. Black Specks that also eat minnows, small fry, etc. will eat insects throughout their lives unlike white Specks. White Specks also tolerate dirtier water than black Specks that need clean water to survive.

I agree, finding where and the depth is probably more important than fly type but fly type can be important.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 10-07-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

>>I think the young white Specks eat insects but when grown they only eat minnows, small fry, etc<<<

Funny, we've caught a heckuva lot of big white crappie on waxworms. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I think the young white Specks eat insects but when grown they only eat minnows, small fry, etc.
    I believe I did say I think as we don't have them in Florida. Its what I've read about them but you know how that goes .
    Last edited by dixieangler; 10-07-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

black gnats

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect both species of crappie will eat whatever is the most readily available with the least amount of effort.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have some great Clousers. Tied by a Guy I know in Lake Charles LA. They work for him and his club members, but I just dont have the right kinda spit.

Throwing a Clouser on an #5 Fly rod is a little like having a Whole Chicken tied onto the end of the line.
    It sounds like a High wind when it goes by my head. Un-nerving!

But as good as those flies are, and some jigs, and some rubber goods, I just dont seem to have what it takes to catch a Crappie.

I did pretty good catching Salmon, Trout, Dollies and other stuff on flies, but no Crappie.
    I even caught some Bass, some of which were stripers, but no Crappie.

Next time maybe...?
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast