Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shrimp for Crappie?

Can cut-up shrimp work for crappie? The type you buy fresh from the sea food counter at the grocery. If not for Crappie, what do people here use them for? I overheard some gents fishing on shore about using shrimp but never got to ask them because they were in the middle of a very interesting verbal altercation.

Post Thanks / Like

i've seen people with bags of frozen shrimp. always wondered but never bothered to ask what they were fishing for.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done well with them for gills. And hey if they ain't biting I get a good snack

Post Thanks / Like

Eat the shrimp...get some minnows for the crappie.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregsayers2000 View Post
    Can cut-up shrimp work for crappie?
    Yep -- if you can keep the catfish and bream off of 'em.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There are times that the frozen raw shrimp are hard to beat for spawning catfish. Thaw some out then leave them laying in the sun for a few hours, cats love them and bluegills will worry the hair off of you.

Never considered using them for crappie.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up my Pop would get a container of shrimp for fishing for catfish....

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Around here, shrimp are mostly used for Channel Catfish ... which I never understood, seeing as how hot dogs work just as well & are way cheaper (as are chicken livers).

I'd say a Crappie would likely hit a piece of shrimp .... I mean, they'll hit a Crappie Nibble, a piece of lead & feathers or lead & plastic, and even a strip of meat off a small "bream", even a dead minnow .... so, why not a piece of shrimp. It wouldn't be "unheard of" !!

When hearing about various things put on a hook to elicit a bite from various fish, and I mean "unnatural" things (not crickets, grasshoppers, minnows, etc) ... I'm reminded of local catfish fishermen using chicken livers for catfish, and finding out that Hybrid Stripers like them as much as they do live Shad ---- you just never know until you try it !!

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have some I forgot about in the freezer. I am going to thaw them next time I go out and see what likes them. Thanks for the replies guys. Keep your lines tight and the boat upright!

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know of one fella that puts them in a bait pump and load his hollow tube jigs with it. He says it does wonders for the bite.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast