Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The crappie are starting again in PA

Post Thanks / Like

Default The crappie are starting again in PA

With this beautiful fall like weather, the crappie are starting to bite again here in central PA. Water temp is 75.

The average size is getting a little bigger (about 10" now). You guys down south have much bigger crappie than we do, but I'm happy with a 10"er?

I use a pontoon float tube with a UL spin rod. I'm starting to tie some Crappie Jigs, but now my best producer is Gulp minnows on a 1/64 oz jig head.

Tight Lines,

Post Thanks / Like

Some nice fish there. They fry up just as good as the big ones. What part of central PA?

THE BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN IT'S RAINING AND WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing up here in CT, it's like someone turned on the switch as soon as the night temperatures started dipping into the low 60's and 50's. The past couple weeks have the fish active in shallow water again. Nothing wrong with a 10"-11" crappie in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you,a 10"er is a good one.We are getting a few decent ones too from the ponds we fish.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in southeast PA and noticed the same thing. The quality of the bite is far better than what we had in mid-July.

I crushed it the other day. The only thing that stopped me was that I ran out of jigs. I was doing well with the bobby garland slab slay'r with the white body and chartreuse tail. I'd let it drop deep enough to where I could no longer see it in the water and BAM! It got crushed every time. I probably lost more than I kept and had good number of 8"-10", which is fine by me.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappitier View Post
    With this beautiful fall like weather, the crappie are starting to bite again here in central PA. Water temp is 75.

The average size is getting a little bigger (about 10" now). You guys down south have much bigger crappie than we do, but I'm happy with a 10"er?

I use a pontoon float tube with a UL spin rod. I'm starting to tie some Crappie Jigs, but now my best producer is Gulp minnows on a 1/64 oz jig head.

Tight Lines,

Shhhhhhh.....you better keep that a secret from Chaunc. He will grab all of them out of the lake. He is just that good folks. LOL
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Shhhhhhh.....you better keep that a secret from Chaunc. He will grab all of them out of the lake. He is just that good folks. LOL
    Unless i'm fishing with my grands or a friend, i'll throw those back till december. They may grow another inch by then. But really, those are some of the best eating size fish he has there.