Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tie Or Snap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tie Or Snap

Which Is Better, Tieing The Jig On Or Using Swivel Snaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Tie!

If you use a snap swivel, the jig won't hang horizontal in the water.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell my jighead maker (he gives them to me) but when I get hung if the hook don't straighten right out, I snatch it and break it off. I use a lot of jigs. If I lost a snap everytime, it'd get expensive, as I have to pay for them.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll Try That. I Fished With Jigs For About Two And A Half Hours At The Marina Yesterday Evening And Had Just One Hit But Nothing Else. Tried Different Colors, Verticle And Casting But No Luck. I Was Wondering If Tieing Them On Instead Of Using Snaps Would Help.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably knot. ha ha. If they was bitin' good you'd catch them snap or knot. But I reckon if they are real finicky it might help to have the knot. I fished for 6 hours last Sun. I caught 1 crappie and my brother caught 1. he had a snap on his jig, I didn't. Mine was a keeper, his wasn't. Had to be because I tied directly to the jig.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! I'm Sure That Was It.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tie

I am not a knot expert. I only know one way to tie a hook. I don't think you would get the desired action with a snap. I have tried three way swivels when using tandum hooks and didn't like the weight above my jigs.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I use both a knot and sometimes a No-Knot Fast Snaps, I don't like swivel snaps, but that is just me. Here is a link to BPS for these snaps, but you can find them cheaper at jannsnetcraft.com and I think Cabela's carries them now also.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

You may even want to go to a loop knot to tie your jig on so it is more free.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    I use both a knot and sometimes a No-Knot Fast Snaps, I don't like swivel snaps, but that is just me. Here is a link to BPS for these snaps, but you can find them cheaper at jannsnetcraft.com and I think Cabela's carries them now also.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

You may even want to go to a loop knot to tie your jig on so it is more free.
    THE NO-KNOT FAST SNAP, DO TIE IT WITH A SPECIAL KNOT? DOES IT ALLOW THE JIG TO HANG PROPERLY?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET HEAD
    THE NO-KNOT FAST SNAP, DO TIE IT WITH A SPECIAL KNOT? DOES IT ALLOW THE JIG TO HANG PROPERLY?
    The jig is free to swing on this and you can tie it with a Palomar or a Uni-knot. I have used the Palomar almost exclusively since the late 60's I think and it's a great and easy to tie knot. However I have started using a Uni-knot more the last couple of years. It started when I was tying some 100# test mono and I really couldn't get them Palomar to work very well at all. So I learned the Uni-knot and really liked it a lot so I use it quite ofter on things like the no-knot snap.

Hope this helps

One more thing....they are really small so you may want to see them in your hand before deciding on size. Think I have 2 different sizes and am not sure what the smaller one is, but just remember the small is very small!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast