Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shopping for a new R&R

Post Thanks / Like

Default shopping for a new R&R

I'm going to be shopping for a new rod & reel after Christmas.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the type that may be good for general purposes.

I've got jig poles and an ultra light R&R I use for crappie specifically. I was thinking about a spinning outfit that is sensitive enough for crappie but I can use for shoreline bass as well. Something that I set up with 8+ lb line and casts well.

Thanks!
    Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooter

If you have the money. You can't go wrong with Shimano. I have nothing but good things to say about there rods and reels
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 6'6" lightning rod with an Okuma AV-20 spinning reel. The setup costs around $75. I use this for crappie, bass, and walleye. The reel comes with 2 spools, so i can put 8# on one and 4 or 6# on the other and keep one in my pocket to change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    I'm going to be shopping for a new rod & reel after Christmas.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the type that may be good for general purposes.

I've got jig poles and an ultra light R&R I use for crappie specifically. I was thinking about a spinning outfit that is sensitive enough for crappie but I can use for shoreline bass as well. Something that I set up with 8+ lb line and casts well.

Thanks!
    Hoot
    Hoot,
    Wait till Bass Pro has there spring fishing specials. I do. You can get good deals then on most BPS rods. I got the Wally Marshall Pro Series Rod that list for 49.99 for 29.99 last year. I also bought the Shimano Spirex Spinning Reel with the rear fighting drag on sale plus I took an old reel in for the trade and got an extra $15-20.00 off that sale price. Now for myself I like this reel with this rear fighting drag, I would like another one of these reels this year.

Does anyone else have this reel with the rear fighting drag? Do you like it?
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    Hoot,
    Wait till Bass Pro has there spring fishing specials. I do. You can get good deals then on most BPS rods. I got the Wally Marshall Pro Series Rod that list for 49.99 for 29.99 last year. I also bought the Shimano Spirex Spinning Reel with the rear fighting drag on sale plus I took an old reel in for the trade and got an extra $15-20.00 off that sale price. Now for myself I like this reel with this rear fighting drag, I would like another one of these reels this year.

Thanks Duane. Yeah I can hold off till then. I did'nt know they take trades on reels. That's even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Thanks Duane. Yeah I can hold off till then. I did'nt know they take trades on reels. That's even better.
    What the trade in is.... you bring in a working reel for BPS to give away for the Kids fishing day later in the year and they give you $15.00- 20.00 off a reel priced over $50.00.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Mitchell

I love my Mitchell 300 X combo. I got it at WalMart for about $70.00. It's my all around combo and have caught everything from crappie to good sized cats and bass on it. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

What the trade in is.... you bring in a working reel for BPS to give away for the Kids fishing day later in the year and they give you $15.00- 20.00 off a reel priced over $50.00.
    That sounds like a good deal for everyone. I've got a couple of old ones that work fine but I don't use much.

I've got all the crappie rigs I need I think. What I want is a good general r&r for some casting.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Duane .......Spirex reels

I have two SS2000 reels - one is rear drag, the other is front drag. I use them both, and like them both equally. I've heard that front drags are more reliable, or work better longer than rear drags ... but, I've had no problems out of my rear drag reel - and I tend to set'em and forget'em after each line change.
    I have had to use the "fighting drag" ... and it performed flawlessly. In my years of Bass fishing and Hybrid Striper fishing, I've also learned the value of switching off the anti-reverse/drag system, and backwinding the reel to play bigger fish. Doing this has enabled me to hook and land some fairly large fish on some very light line/outfits - for instance: 6lb LMB on 4lb test/5ft Quantum UL rod/Shakespeare Ultralite reel ... 12lb Tiger Muskie on 4lb line/plastic reel & 6ft fiberglass rod combo ... and a 10lb Striper on one of my Crappie "minnow" poles.
    I always used to think that rear drags were more "convenient" to get to, while fighting a fish ... and that putting my big 'ol paws on the front of the reel to set the drag, was asking for trouble ...LOL!! But, since learning the value of setting the drag properly, and a little loose - and learning how to "backwind" ... I haven't had to worry much about drag problems.
    If weight was an issue - I'd probably buy the Spirex 1000's ... but since I already had a 2000, and bought the second one "used" (about 1/2 price), I haven't seen the necessity to downsize.
    I also love the dual handle and flat grips on Spirex reels ... I don't care for the "barrel" type grips that most spinning reels have. In fact, none of my spinning reels have barrel grips - regardless of brand. I've just found that my fingers tend not to slip off the flat grips, as easily as they did on barrel grips. But, that's just me ... I'm a firm believer in "use what feels good and works for YOU" !! .........luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default rear drag

Hoot,

Duane, my brother has a Shimano Spirex Spinning Reel with rear drag and he Swears by it. He absolultly love his.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast