Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rigging, trolling motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging, trolling motor?

Have not been fishing in a while but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Upgraded trolling motor to 24v, 80 lbs I Pilot, about 18 months ago. Have finally gotten used to it and do like most of the things about it. The problem I am having is for the last year I can not catch a fish rigging if the trolling motor is running, even on lowest of speeds, I am not talking about while steering. Trolling motor does not seem to noisy to me but the steering motor does. Sometimes it seems you will get a reaction bite when first turning on the motor, other than that no bites while running. So I have spent most of my time drifting when possible and only using the TM to steer. Considering changing to something else as I never had this problem with cable steer 55 lbs motor I took off (Richard, ripnlips) I want it bacK!!!! Anybody else have this issue or any advise on subject? Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks and Have A Great Day!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an minn Kota edge 55 cable foot steer. I love mine I have had it four years with only a few common problems... I have a friend with the terrova, man they are loud when steering! Sounds like a garage door opener... Not to mention I like the fact the cable ones you can feel by your foot position which way your going without even looking. But I am a firm believer in only using it when you have to. I'm usually off the lake by the time the wind picks up anyways. I have found if I don't catch my fish by 1030 I might as well go home. I hope you get something worked out. I've always felt comfort and confidence equals fish.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I just do not see how the noise could bother the fish, I have a terrova and no problems slow trolling two poles and I bang into the bottom, drop stuff, just dont know what is going on with yours, I would think maybe it is just a bunch of scaret fish......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I just do not see how the noise could bother the fish, I have a terrova and no problems slow trolling two poles and I bang into the bottom, drop stuff, just dont know what is going on with yours, I would think maybe it is just a bunch of scaret fish......
    Thats it Beags Im trying to catch them bigguns you scaret off

Post Thanks / Like

wrong, i catch big ones, real big ones, serious, though I will give you 50 dollars for the terrova and come get it, no questions asked............

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing in Hay Creek one day, a boat with a couple fellas is rigging behind and to my left, I keep hearing this grinding, zip zip, click noise... sure enough, I-pilot. I'll stick to my cable. Going to score a 24v 70# Maxxum over the winter.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

in my business i have encountered the same question at times, if you think it's noisy above water try a quick swim and duck you head under water a few feet away, some of them sound like a thrashing machine, some don't seem to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazualobzerver View Post
    in my business i have encountered the same question at times, if you think it's noisy above water try a quick swim and duck you head under water a few feet away, some of them sound like a thrashing machine, some don't seem to
    That does make me wonder about that 12v air pump I put in the rod box to aerate the minners. It does seem to cause an hum louder than I thought it would. Might have to mount it to some rubber or something. It is on the bulkhead between the rod box and driver's console screwed in on top of the carpet.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

the noise don't make that much difference. it just don't, and I have always thought if you are not happy with your stuff, you should get different stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
    That does make me wonder about that 12v air pump I put in the rod box to aerate the minners. It does seem to cause an hum louder than I thought it would. Might have to mount it to some rubber or something. It is on the bulkhead between the rod box and driver's console screwed in on top of the carpet.
    I tried one of the 12v air pumps at the beginning of spring. Had it in the back of my alum boat and it was lauder than the battery one on the minnow bucket on my front deck so I took it back.
    I don't ever catch a crappie with my TM off while rigging helped my boat control a bunch just adjust variable speed.

Jerkey maybe if you didn't try and catch all those big ones so close to the surface you wouldn't have a problem

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast