Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Toledo Bend Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toledo Bend Crappie

Caught em pretty great this year on Toledo. First year we have caught them like this in the summer. WE caught them over piles in about 18 feet in early July this year. They didnt last long but we wiped them out when they were there. What would make them do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Really not sure what your question is? What would make them do what? Maybe I am missing something?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go out on a limb & say ... right time, right place, right bait, & right presentation equals success !! Gotta love it when a plan comes together and it works in your favor

Write down all known factors (what, when, where, why, how, on what, weather conditions, water conditions, etc) and try them again next year, when those same conditions occur. You may be able to repeat your success. Crappie are hardwired to behave certain ways, under certain conditions ... via their survival instincts & habitual nature ... so they're prone to repeating those behaviors, when the surrounding conditions are the same (or close to the same).

... cp

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fishhound1 View Post
    They didnt last long but we wiped them out when they were there. What would make them do that?
    Ever consider fishing pressure? Crappie are no different than bluegills, bass, whatever. There is not an infinite supply and fishing pressure will eventually take its toll if nothing else changes.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. We have never caught them that late over those piles. Just wondering what may have kept them up there. It may have just been a luck deal that we found a school out there. Our piles are usually completely done by the end of june and we caught these in the middle of july.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we did have somewhat of a cool front in July which is not normal and also again in August. Your right the piles in that depth are usually only good just after the spawn, but I know some other that did well in water not much deeper this year. I suspect the water temps were a little cooler than years past.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Well we did have somewhat of a cool front in July which is not normal and also again in August. Your right the piles in that depth are usually only good just after the spawn, but I know some other that did well in water not much deeper this year. I suspect the water temps were a little cooler than years past.
    X2. We had a real late Spring and Summer here. The fish didn't really settle into their normal Summer pattern until about a month ago. Lots of fish are still being caught in 3-5 fow.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

That must have been it. Water staying a little cooler just lengthened the bite.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be my guess. I know that I went with a couple guys to show them around my area I think in June and there was still some crappie just off the bank a little in 10 foot of water even though most had left the shallows for the creeks and brush piles.

Peak Vise Dealer