Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's this technique called and does anyone do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's this technique called and does anyone do it?

When I was out west for a while, walleye anglers would drag lindy rigs using their trolling motor and holding one spinning rod in each hand. Instead of spider rigging with a bunch of long rods, does anyone just use two 7 or 8 foot spinning rods (or baitcasters) in their hands and troll jigs or minnows with the trolling motor? It just seems like it would offer a little bit of "feel" for those of us who haven't converted from jigging to rigging.
    If you do something similar to this, what sort of rods and reels do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do it all the time in my bass boat with a foot controlled TM using 8' or 10' jigging poles (with bait casters), not necessarily trolling but I'd fish bridge pilings and standing timber holding a pole in each hand, and sometimes even brush piles. When I bought my center console a few years ago it had a hand controlled TM so I couldn't do it any longer. That is the only thing I miss about the foot controlled TM, not being able to two-pole while vertical jiggin.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

We troll often for crappie, choosing not to anchor up until we find a feeding school. Here in MA, it is allowed to use 2 hooks (jigs) on one rod or two rods with one hook each, so we would troll using the 2 rods, 1 jig for each angler. I've never used anything longer than 7' rods and they work out real well for us. Spider rigger here is not legal.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely... still use that technique for Eyes. Biggest difference may be the Eyes are usually on the bottom and the crappies can be any depth. I seem to do well moving just fast enough to get a little flash from a willow blade on the jig and then ID'ing the depth those fish are at when I get a hookup. I use 2-piece, 6 foot rods with spinning reels. 2 rods is all that's allowed here but I usually only use 1 at a time. Using 2 at the same time seems too stressful and certainly too much work, I mean I can only eat 6 crappies in one sitting.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish that way spring and fall, but only one rod and I longline for the most part, but if windy I will get a heavier jig out and pull it right next to the boat especially in water over 10' deep. Spring and fall I longline 1/32 Oz Roadrunners and have since the late 1970's.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard to people refer to it as "strolling".
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I use the two pole in the hands alot while working deep brush or bottom bouncing. Like you said, it gives better feel of those lite bites. I use 6-8' rodes w/ spinning rigs. Go to long and the weight will mess with ya as time goes by, will start making you lean the grip of the rod up on the knee and this defeats why I hold it in the first place.

strolling..... I like it, but the better half just said that word makes me sound old

Told her to call me what she wants as long as I'm on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like winter time sauger fishing! Never really tried it for crappie, I like my rods in the holders.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I use two jig poles and i like 12' poles lot of action . One in each hand . That is how i fish every day even today . Very slow . And yes i like to call it strolling , but i am not sure where that term came from . I fish a single jig on each pole . Just lay back and stroll .
    CATCH THEM ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught about 20 crappie in 3 hours today holding a 5 foot rod in each hand fishing 4 feet deep over brush in 6 to 8 feet of water. You don't have to have a long rod to do this in shallow water. Just know where Your brush is and let off the trolling motor as You get close and drift over it so not to spook the fish. It works great for brush pile fishing.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast