Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thanks to Dixieangler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to Dixieangler

I picked up a fly rod for the first time in late July at the behest of my daughters Irish boyfriend who guides in Ireland. They were visiting us in Arkansas for a few days. After the first couple of lessons in the backyard, I was hooked. Realizing though that I bream and crappie fish more than trout fish, I emailed Dixieangler for some warmwater advice. He graciously answered that inquiry not only with words of encouragement, but tips, fly recipies, links...you name it, he shared it.

Since, I've not picked up at spinning rig. I've taken up tying all my own flies for trout, bream and crappie. I've had enormous success catching trout, and some of the largest bream ever and just recently bagged my first couple of crappie. I'm still expiermenting and working on my technique, but I have to tell you guys, catching even a small fish on a fly rod is a whole new experience...and I'm in my 50s and been fishing all my life. True, there's a lot to learn and you end up with some tangled messes that defy physics -- but like everything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

I just wanted to thank you, Robert, for so kindly opening the doors to a whole new and exciting experience in the love for fishing and, yes, the doors to a new expense stream. What the heck. Thank you. Keep up the good work.

J

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing you say about Robert surprises me. All his posts and stuff we read anywhere seems most helpful....always.
    ....lee s.
    PS - Congrats on your new "addiction".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words and glad I was able to help . Fly angling is most definately an ongoing learning experience even for me. I agree, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Practice and patience. I learn new stuff all the time from folks that post on a few boards to back up that foundation I got from my youth and some folks that cared enough to spend some time to show me the ropes when I was a beginner. Oh, and a lot of listening and reading . I always think it best to continue to return the favor whenever I can. All I ask in return is to help some other prospective fly angler who is sincere and honest to learn the ropes.

Contrary to belief maybe, fly angling is not the only kind of fishing I do. Like most everyone else I learned and used conventional tackle first, up until my early 20s before picking up fly angling. I still do use conventional tackle so don't think that fly angling is the only kind of fishing I do. I did have the advantage of growing up in a fishing family (conventional tackle) except for my mother maybe :D. She doesn't like to fish or eat fish. That conventional angling and tackle foundation helped the transition to fly angling and tackle which is just another way of doing the same thing, fishing.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 10-05-2006 at 08:32 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"