Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Not a question, but rather a comment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a question, but rather a comment

I thought I posted this a few weeks ago, but didn't see it. I've been hitting the Conservation Handicap docks in my area regularly since March, with what I call great success. I'm fortunate to have a job that takes me within a few miles of several throughout the week. I've only had one day where I was totally skunked. I've always caught some crappie, a few sunfish and a few bass. I'm able to hit these docks for lunch, and maybe on the way home. More importantly I get out and get away for a few minutes to an hour.

Even more important than catching is the contacts I've made. I used to pass these docks up if people were fishing, but this year, told myself, I can join em. I've met a lot of people. Share a few tips of mine, and learned a few tips from others. I have run into one grandmother and her teenage grandson twice. I've met people who know someone in my family. I've explained to some what a probation officer does, and have been told what people on our caseloads do when we aren't looking. I've heard jokes and told a couple. I also have been able to brag that I get to fish sometimes 4-5 times per week. I also got to catch one bass that was likely 2+ lbs on an ultralight.

My most memorable trip involved the grandmother and her grandson, and the same day found a grandfather and his two grand daughters. Toby Kieth has a song about "Just Fishin", which is what the grand daughters thought was going on, and got to see grandpa live that song. I helped out the number of fish for the family fish fry that night. Later in the day, I got to see commerce improve on my suggestion in town, as I suggested to the girls that they work on getting grandpa to stop by the ice cream shop when they were done.

I really think these docks are under utilized and would love to see more people hit them. Don't pass them up when you see other's on them, as your day can greatly change for the positive. If you see a me out, please stop and chat.

Thanks for the docks.

PS is there a chance of getting a brush pile under the dock at Fox Valley. There are some outside it. but would love some under it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post....many times anglers forget what fishing is all about...thx for the reminder