Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: beating a dead horse custom rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default beating a dead horse custom rod

I know that a custom rod would be more thatn most would want to pay. However i have a friend who want me to build him one. I have built many casting and spinning rods but never a crappie rod for minnow fishing. Would like a little advice on what woud be the best set up for him. MHX is now building a rod blank for crappie fishing here are the specs. Would you use spinning guides or fly rod guides what about the micro guides would you use them. PF1442ML-MHX Specifications

Length 12'0"
    Pieces 2
    Line Weight 4-10 lb.
    Lure Weight 1/32 - 5/8
    Action Mod/Fast
    Butt OD .63
    Tip Size 5

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is he casting Orkney dipping on a tight line. If casting a 12 is awful long but I would use small spinning guides. If tight lining with minnows or jigs and the micros aren't cost prohibitive that's what I'd build mine with. Weight becomes a issue if holding that long a rod all day. Also if it was mine and tight lining I'd do rear set reel seat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

For minnow fishing (the way I do it), a Batson RX6 flyrod blank (5 wt, 8.5 ft, 2-piece) with micro guides and TN handle would be about perfect.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

B.W. --- if he has ANY intention of ever using slip floats, I'd say forget the micro guides.
    If he's going to be putting the rod into a rod holder, forget the rear reel seat, too. A Tenn handle would be what he'd want, in that case.
    I don't know "jack" about rod blanks, or building rods, but if I were wanting a custom 12' outfit ... I'd want it to be at least IM7, just for the extra backbone effect, and especially with a mod/fast taper. And I'd want ceramic guides, if I had any intention of using braid on the rod. Braid won't damage any but the cheapest metal guides, but it will definitely "sing" when being retrieved through them ... and ceramic guides will lessen that noise quite a bit.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many different rods and lengths and some that do well in all kind of crappie fishing. I have a good many 10' rods, but my favorite is actually a little shorter coming in a 7 1/2 ' for the blank which make the rod almost 8' one piece. This one is a Rainshadow RX7, but I also see they make an RX8 and I would love one of these. I do use my 10' rods a good bit, but I just like this rod enough that I use ot for trolling, casting as well as jigging. Depends on what your friend wants though. Even though this is not supposed to be a crappie rod, it sure maks a good one!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the suggestions, never thought about the tenn handle. He will do mostly tight line with minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about building one of the 12' for trolling. anyone know how the blank feels compared to one of the b n m pro-staff models?
    I have several bass rods built on MHX blanks. So far I really like them.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering the samething i have not bought a one yet.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also not up on all the latest components. Were it mine I would want it for versatility. The micro guides are probably similar to the smaller guides on some of my BnM's, and are too small for bobber stops and don't cast heavier line as well. Definitely the lightest single foot guides available. I have EVA, or Hypalon handles, the black foam ones. They are durable and clean easy, and not as cold to hold in cold weather. If they are made to hold for long periods, I like the handle cut back to the blank to accommodate a fingertip touching the blank. Sensitivity is great. The balance of the rod would dictate where the seat would go, but I don't care for the rear seat as all my gear multi-tasks.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the suggestions i thought that the micro guides might be too small for the bobber stop.