Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Floating lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating lights

Has anyone ever used the optronics floating green led light? Optronics® Floating Fishing Light | Bass Pro Shops

Post Thanks / Like

nope never seen that one. any light is better than none though. shoot when i was a kid it was just a lantern hung over the side of the boat.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the reviews I wouldn't touch it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    nope never seen that one. any light is better than none though. shoot when i was a kid it was just a lantern hung over the side of the boat.
    We did the same thing with two lanterns over the side. It's a wonder we didn't burn alive, but we caught a BUNCH fishing under those old lanterns. I quit using them years ago, but kept them until last year when we finally got rid of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    We use 2 submergable with a floating one in the middle but my floating light died so i was wondering how bright the led would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Reading the reviews I wouldn't touch it.
    Yea I saw them but I don't always trust the reviews on basspro that's why I asked on here

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the lights at Bass Pro but was turned off by the reviews. I don't see any reason people would lie about their results there since they can't advertise their own products there as they knock the competition. From what I read those who were successful using them added additional waterproofing to them before they used them. But that prevents you from returning them if they still fail within weeks of use so I decided not to try them.

I bought two strips of 5 Meter 5050 LEDs from ebay. I am going to mount them under my pontoon, one on each side. That should give me a broad area of lights plus keep them out of the way when they are not in use.

Some of the users in other forums have done this and recommend it. So I will soon know if it was a good decision or bad decision.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing some research on making my own floating light from an old style round headlight. May just head to salvage yard for those and find some foam to float them with. Then I need running light on my boat to be legal to be out after dark. Seems it never ends. Gives true meaning to the phrase, "boat=bust out another thousand".

Post Thanks / Like

The saying I always heard was, " Bottomless Money Pit In The Yard...", But looking at getting one anyway. Really getting tired of fishing from the bank. Wife wants a Pontoon, but I'd be happy with a decient sized jon boat. Guess it will be the Pontoon boat first though. I'm sure you all have heard the sayin', "Ain't nobody happy till momma's happy...", just sayin'.