Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing With Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing With Jigs?

I'M FAIRLY NEW TO FISHING DESPITE MY 52 YEARS. I'VE CAUGHT A FEW CRAPPIE WITH MINNOWS BUT NOTHING WITH JIGS. HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO FISH A JIG? I HAVE SEVERAL COLORS OF JIGS AND TWO DIFFERENT PANFISH ASSASSIN'S, ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE FISHED LIKE JIGS?

Post Thanks / Like

I use jigs for the majority of my fishing. I usually cast them out and countdown to the depth I think the fish are at and slowly retrieve. For something with a waggly tail like a slider/pan assassin a slow swim-like retrieve will get the most strikes. I also troll a jig behind a boat slowly along places I think hold fish.
    The other option I use is an L spinner with a colorado blade on top and jig on the bottom. This is a good searching method of fishing. you can also take a yum beavertail put it on a jig and use a slipbobber rig to get into areas where casting is impossible (brush piles/ trees in water) and drop the line into the brush and watch the bobber to indicate when your jig has been tapped. This is also good if you want to float the jig to an area and let the wind impart subtle action to the lure.
    HTH.

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET HEAD
    I'M FAIRLY NEW TO FISHING DESPITE MY 52 YEARS. I'VE CAUGHT A FEW CRAPPIE WITH MINNOWS BUT NOTHING WITH JIGS. HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO FISH A JIG? I HAVE SEVERAL COLORS OF JIGS AND TWO DIFFERENT PANFISH ASSASSIN'S, ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE FISHED LIKE JIGS?
    I have a beginner type how to jig fish on my web site so take a look see there. After that if you have any questions (I am sure you will) you can PM me or email me and I would be happy to help with what ever I can.

Here is a link to the How To Page... http://thumpitjigs.com/HowTo.html

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For The Info. What Is A "L" Spinner?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For The Help. That Is A Helpful Article. I've Been Bouncing The Rod Up And Down.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For The Help. That Is A Helpful Article. I've Been Bouncing The Rod Up And Down.
    Yes don't do that, just hold steady and then move either from side to side each time waiting on it to come back under your rod tip. Same with up and down, very slow lift it up and then let it fall wile keeping contact with the jig and don't let it fall at it's rate, make it your slow rate. After every move try holding steady for a little bit.

I usually move it a few feet from side to side and same with lifting it up, maybe 2'-3' and controlled fall.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

What Size Jig Head Should I Use On The Panfish Assassin's? Does The Jig Head Color Matter? When Should You Use, What Color Jig Body And Tail?

Post Thanks / Like

On the jig head and color, I think it's not very important except I do think they should be coated as to not keep turning darker. I either use silver or clear on jigs I sell.

Size will depend on how you are fishing; if over a brush pile I use 1/8 oz. & 1/4 oz. and anything less the wind will play heck with you. Trolling in the spring and fall I use a 1/32 oz when in water 6' or less and 1/16 oz in 6' to 13' or 14' deep.

Color...as long as it has chartreuse it will work, LOL! I use most of the colors of the pictures on my web site and my favorites are my Christmas jig, one the color of the one pictured in my post about my woolly bug. Then I like all of the ones using the variegated black/Fl Yellow chenille, one has black head and tail, one has bright green head and FL. Chartreuse tail and the other has a FL. Red head and FL. Chartreuse tail.

Here is a link to jig pics (click on the pics to see larger image)...
    http://thumpitjigs.com/Jigs.html

Also look at my woolly bug post on this board for the color of the body and tail!

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

go back to Crappie.com Home Page and click on Articles and Tips. Lots of good information there that should give you something to try. lol