Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size????

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size????

I have always used the Pfluger President spinning reels in size 6925. Anybody use the 6930? The smaller sizes don't seem to cast as well. Is the 6930 TOO BIG, 4# test capacity is 145 yds for this reel.... Thanks.... crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

How long is the rod that it will be on? I usually like a slightly larger reel when using a longer rod.

Also how heavy of line?

Post Thanks / Like

Usually a 5' or 5 and one half ft. rod with 4# test. Is this reel to large?.....crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

I think so.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie1133 View Post
    I have always used the Pfluger President spinning reels in size 6925. Anybody use the 6930? The smaller sizes don't seem to cast as well. Is the 6930 TOO BIG, 4# test capacity is 145 yds for this reel.... Thanks.... crappie1133
    Not familiar with this reel, but .... most smaller sized reels don't cast as "good" (far) simply due to line memory retention. This retention is dependent upon the line, itself, as some lines are more supple (limp) than others ... but, the smaller the reel spool, the tighter the coils of line around it, and that translates into more friction of the line as it goes through the guides.

Rod & reel outfits, specifically used for casting, need to be balanced. They feel better, work better, and are less tiring to use. I balance mine by using a reel that will balance the outfit on my finger, when the finger is placed under the very front edge of the rod's handle. The length of the rod, style, & its component makeup determine how its weight is distributed ... which is a major factor in what size/weight reel is needed to balance the outfit.

You can also remove some of the memory retention, by hooking the line (or bait hook) to a stationary object, opening the bail, then walking off about the length of two very good casts distance, close the bail, and stretch the line by pulling away from the stationary object several times. Then reel the line back onto the reel spool under fairly tight tension. This straightens out some of the memory coils, but does nothing for "twisted" line ... when the twists were caused by bait spin or improper spooling on of the line. That requires "untwisting" methods, like dragging loose/empty line in the water behind a boat at idle speed or letting out a good length of line & dragging it through the grass (at home) ... then applying tension with your finger/thumb as you reel the line back onto the reel spool.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use the smaller ones--30 bucks at wal-mart---4 lbs mr crappie line, i can cast just fine with it--the 6 lbs line gives me more trouble on these reels...ive got 5 of the small reels, i love em

Post Thanks / Like

I do think the 6930 will be too big to have a proper balance on a 5' rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the pflueger president for years and have several spooled with either P line Hi-Vis or Vicious Hi-vis #4or#6lb and have never had any problem casting where I wanted. But I always insure that the line comes OFF the line spool COUNTERCLOCKWISE, and goes ONTO the reel CLOCKWISE, with tension on the spool and line. I replace the line at least twice a year.
    YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS...BUT YOU CAN BUY FISHING GEAR.....AND THAT'S KINDA THE SAME THING.....
    Unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use 4lb test lines unless I am putting tippet on a fly rod. Thats just me. Casting is relative term. How far, with what weight of lure, etc. Short rods are not really great for or designed for casting much distance and reels as pappy explained have their own limitations. I would say the proof is in the pudding. If you already have the set up then you have nothing to lose. Put it together and see if it meets your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

The 6725 is a great reel.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast