Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Vs. Replica (taxidermy)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Real Vs. Replica (taxidermy)

Wondering what most of the users here do. If you use replica, can you provide weblinks for who you used.

I know one of these days I'm going to catch the fish that I want to have done, so I want to know what is the best route to go. I don't recall a thread on this in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only had 2 mounted, by a local guy. One was a striped bass that I caught, the other was a smallmouth that the wife won second place with. The smallmouth is a replica because I didn't freeze the fish correctly, it couldn't be mounted.
    Both are nearly 10 years old...the replica is holding up better...LOL!

I think the replica idea is a good one for promoting catch/photograph/measure/release.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snal
    I've only had 2 mounted, by a local guy. One was a striped bass that I caught, the other was a smallmouth that the wife won second place with. The smallmouth is a replica because I didn't freeze the fish correctly, it couldn't be mounted.
    Both are nearly 10 years old...the replica is holding up better...LOL!

I think the replica idea is a good one for promoting catch/photograph/measure/release.

What is the corect method for freezing a fish that you are going to get mounted?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    What is the corect method for freezing a fish that you are going to get mounted?
    It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, you're supposed to wrap the fish in lots of newspaper and freeze asap.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a nice largemouth last spring and had replica made. It looks good and the fish was released unharmed. I'm looking forward to having a crappie done if I can get one that measures up to cooperate. The most important thing to do (besides measurments of course) is take good pictures from different angles paying attention light because you want to capture the details and true color on film. It may be sunny, overcast or even night time so get good at using your camera.
    Some people may want the skin mount because it's the actual fish, but to me the replica looks just as good and will last a lifetime. There are several sites on the internet you can look up and see some displays. I used a guy near Dale Hallow at americanfishtaxidermy.com and I hope to use him again.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion the replicas look better than skin mounts and they will last far longer.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told by taxidermists to wrap the fish in a wet towel and place it in a garbage bag and get as much air out of the bag as possible before freezing.

The towel apparently helps fight freezer burn and also protects the fins from getting broken off. I've never had a fish mounted but I like the idea of a replica. I've seen too many skin mounts that deteriorated after a few years and didn't look very good at all. The replicas will last forever and going that route gives you the option of releasing the fish - to the lake OR the grease.

Besides getting several good pictures and the weight of a fish you're going to have a replica made of, be sure and get the length and girth too. A good replica studio can make it look just like it did when you pulled it out of the water.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's worth the extra money to go ahead and get the replica. I'd hate to skimp and have the darn thing fall apart after a couple years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    I've been told by taxidermists to wrap the fish in a wet towel and place it in a garbage bag and get as much air out of the bag as possible before freezing.

Jerry, i also heard that about the towel, but someone else told me to take a peice of cardboard and fold it in half and place over the tail fin to keep it from messing up.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default first one

I had my first fish mounted last year. Call me a sissy if you will. But, I just didn't feel good taking that beautiful fish (still alive) to the taxidermist. It felt like I was dis-honoring my indian forefathers or something by not eating it instead. I wished I had done the replica. But, it is a beautiful mount. Looks like it will flop off of the wall just any minuet.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast