Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Foray into Powder Coating... learned a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first Foray into Powder Coating... learned a lot

For a long time, I have avoided trying to paint my own jig heads, thinking it was difficult or complicated.
    It is not! It is the easiest and simplest thing - - much easier than actually tying a jig.

Well, a few days ago I received my order of 4 colors of Pro-Tec Powder. Then yesterday I received my order
    of 100 1/8th oz. sickle hook heads. So, last night I began coating and everything went super. I use a heat gun
    for the heat source... for 1/8th oz. jigs, about an eight-count in the heat, then swish in the powder, then another
    3 or 4 seconds in the heat before hanging on a rack. Beautiful glossy finish.
    I only painted 14 heads, because it was late at night... and besides, as a novice tier, these should keep me busy for
    some time.

However, when I baked them in the oven, about 5 of them dripped and developed little noses on the front of the head. One of them was so prominent, it looks like an alligator Gar! I am thinking of just painting that nose red, like Rudolph, and try fishing with it.
    I believe my mistake was too high a temperature in the baking oven, or too long a duration (baked them for 14 min.
    at 350 degrees) -

I would like to thank everyone on this Forum who have offered tips and advise, for novices like me.
    You have taught me so much about the craft, I could never even have started without you Old Pros.

Post Thanks / Like

Afterdark,

Your problem causing the "drip" is most likely too much paint on your jig head. I know this from my own experiences .

First I would suggest that you (if not using a fluid bed) make sure you loosen up your paint by rolling and shaking paint jars to get lots of air incorporated into the powder. Then, when you dip your heated jig head, just swish it around very briefly and tap it on the side of the jar to get excess powder off. Hold back over heat gun to melt paint. If jig head is not covered well enough, remember you can always repeat and add a little more by repeating above. Just don't try and do it all in one dip.

Finally, I have made a squeeze device that clamps the jig heads by the hook, holding the jig head up and the hook down. When placed in the curing oven, if I happen to get too much paint on the head, the paint will run down the hook shank and will not be noticeable on the jig head.

I hope this will help you painting your jigs. Remember, practice will get you better painted jigs.......... and.............. Less is more!!!

Good luck,
    Mike

clamps like I use:

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What Mifon said and get you a thermometer to put in oven to double check temp. Cure at 250 for most colors. If you check ProTecs web site somewhere in there they have a temp,time chart for curing all their colors. I have found 250 for 15 the best all around.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Cure temps info is in a sticky here http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...emps-time.html I cure at 325 for 25 mins.

Sounds like you heated too high - and everyone is right if you don't stir and fluff your powder, it tends to go on thick which will give you the drips. Pro-Tech pretty much calls for an all-around 350 for 15 mins but some have found certain colors that can go less - don't be afraid to get the automotive powder for your jigs it works just as good - Look at Rosys Powder Paint and they have a special package for jig tyers.

Absolutely get an in oven thermometer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that I have to fluff the paint after every 6 to 8 jigs to get the best coat. I also cure mine at 275 for about 20 min this is what works best for me.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We heat the jighead (lead) dip in the powder, tap off remaing powder,reheat just a second.Dip in a jar of water,You want to hear the sizzle when it touches the water!!! Ready to put eyes on or catch a fish. hope this helps!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pro-tech paint that I have has the directions on the label. Temperature and amount of time. That is what I go by.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips guys!
    I have and use an oven thermometer, but it is many years old and may not be accurate any more. Need to buy a new one!
    My second batch, I reduced heat to 250 and time to 15 min. and they came out better, but still some dripping.
    The "candy" colors seem to drip the most. Not much problem with good ol' black or white.
    I think my main problem has been not shaking, mixing the powder enough, before starting, and not tapping-off the excess
    powder, as advised above.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

To much heat on the heads will cause a paint build up. Try cutting your heating time down before dipping them in the powder.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with others, heads are too hot.

FWIW: I know directions on most powder paints advise to heat the head enough so the paint completely glosses over right after you dip it, but I personally do not heat them that hot. If it glosses over right away, its toooooo hot.
    Official Jig Club member: Secret Society of Jig Tyers
    First rule of the Jig Club, don't talk about Jig Club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast