Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery question

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery question

I'm running an 80 pound thrust Terrova on 2 series 29 Interstate batteries. This afternoon I only got about 2 1/2 hours of trolling time ( at 1.8 mph) out of the batteries after a full charge on my on-board MinnKota charger. I'm taking a friend of mine and his son in the morning and need more than a couple of hours of fishing time. I have a spare series 27 battery that I threw into the boat just in case.

My question: can I take a jumper and hook the spare battery in parallel with one of the 2 TM batteries and cause no harm but prolong my battery life for another hour or so? When I was running a 12 volt Power-drive TM, I always ran 2 batteries in parallel with no issues. Just never done it with a 24 volt system.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could Parellel it with one battery and it might help a little. But seems you have one or more bad batteries if That is all you got out of them. You should have gotten at least 4 hrs or more unless it was bad windy. Most get 6/8 hrs out of 31's and not that much difference in 29's. If you have a meter I'd sure check each battery after a full charge and check all connections real good.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

What Charlie said. Any questions that you need a pro's answer, contact Catfan on the Kentucky board. He works with em every day, best I can figure.
    Last edited by skeetbum; 08-25-2013 at 03:52 AM.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yep get with catfan
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I made it thru the morning by putting my trolling plate back on, using my big motor to push and steer with the Terrova. This pair of Interstates have been junk since day one and are soon going to find a new home in a recycle bin.

Did have a good day event though the weatherman totally blew the forecast for wind. The calm winds turned out to be 10-15 from SE, not a good direction on KY Lake.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

During this cranking season I bought new Wal Mart Everstart series 29 batteries. I have yet to run them down on a cranking trip. I ran them 7 full hours Saturday at 1.7 with my 80lb Terrova on an 1860 F and F boat. I rarely ever troll into the wind unless I have to and my motor ran at approximately 4.5 all day on the terrova. These batteries were $99 each with a 24 month warranty. They are hard to beat when u combine performance, value and warranty. Good luck on your new battery purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

My question is did you catch anything?

FISH ON

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Handi caught everything at buttla. ...then cleaned sardis and enid out and he is working on grenads now
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    My question is did you catch anything?

FISH ON
    Took a farmer friend of mine from MO who has been a huge help for my snow goose outfitting business over the years. He and his teenaged son were looking for a fishing guide and contacted me about it. I told him there was no way he was paying for a guide when I would be honored to take them. They had not trolled for crappie and their typical crappie trip was for a few small fish. We fished 3+ hours before the lake got so rough from traffic and the southeastern winds. Ended up with a dozen keepers with a couple over 1.5 pounds, a couple of green carp with one over 5 pounds, several yellow bass and one drum about 7 pounds that they took home to a relative. The crappie and bass were the largest they had ever caught. To say they were happy with the day would be an understatement.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff