PDA

View Full Version : opinion please

elfros
08-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I long line every summer with jigs and catch more than my share. those of you who use live bait do you catch larger fish is that the motivation ? Just curious :dono

gregsayers2000
08-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I tend to use what the fish are hitting and quite often that is minnows. I have caught some on jigs and spinners, but mostly like live bait.

elfros
08-24-2013, 03:10 PM
I fish suspended fish if I fished cover maybe I would use bait but jigs seem to produce just fine

feelay
08-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I longline...crankbaits! Moving a little faster than with jigs and covering more water. Once it cools off, I'll be back to spider rigging minnows and catching 2-3 pounders regularly.

rnvinc
08-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Left-over minners go better with crackers and mustard than plastic grubs...

:yikes

(I fish half and half until the fish tell me what they want that day...)

Rickie

Saltine
08-25-2013, 08:08 PM
I longline...crankbaits! Moving a little faster than with jigs and covering more water. Once it cools off, I'll be back to spider rigging minnows and catching 2-3 pounders regularly.

x2. Lately I've had whipers hitting the crankbaits more than crappie. Not complaining though.

shipahoy41
08-26-2013, 06:30 AM
I keep soft plastic and minnows always in my boat. Usually I am using a double rig set up under a slip float and then I let the Crappies tell me what they want depending on weather, cloud cover, time of day, color of jighead etc.

skiptomylu
08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Perhaps you could try something I know about, just never have done, but lots of guys on this site use and do. Some slow troll and use a Gnat and minnow when trolling, not long lining like your doing now. Some of the Mississippi guys do this I think and you can find the, to see what I am talking about on the member sponsor classified board. That is a Donald@CrappieLogic thing. Ask him or some of the guys on the Ms board about them.

Skip

"G"
08-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Perhaps you could try something I know about, just never have done, but lots of guys on this site use and do. Some slow troll and use a Gnat and minnow when trolling, not long lining like your doing now. Some of the Mississippi guys do this I think and you can find the, to see what I am talking about on the member sponsor classified board. That is a Donald@CrappieLogic thing. Ask him or some of the guys on the Ms board about them.

Skip

Yep......when I am not puling crankbaits I use Crappielogic gnats with minnows......sometimes I use Crappielogic jiigs and I also use Crazy Angler slab bandits. Donnie is a great guy and friend......he is a lot of fun to fish with.

skiptomylu
08-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the back up G! I figured someone would come in and tell what they know!

Skip