Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line question

I have been using excel line for as long as I can remember. I use 4lb. line for gills and crappie, and 8lb. for finess bass fishing, and 17lb. on all my bait casters for bass. My buddy has been trying to get me to start using flourocarbon line for years and I wouldn't pay $$$. I don't fish tournaments anymore I gave them up for some good old panfish. I just saw him the other day and he gave me a 200 yard spool of seaguar 4lb. invizx, and said here I bought the first spool for you so try it. I just wanted some opinions. I have never had any trouble catching gills or crappie on mono 4lb. line but in the winter when they are deep here in kentucky it is tough to feel the bite. He assures me I'm only feeling 1 out of 5 fish that actually pic up my jig. I'll probably try it this fall and see whats up, but I was wondering is it strong as mono. Most of the time I can straiten a #4 or #6 hook out with excel 4lb. line when I get hung up unless it have caught several fish or been around a bunch of rocks and my line has nicks in it. Lets here the opinoins.
    "Living a dream, one sick day at a time!"

Post Thanks / Like

fluorocarbon is the way to go...you can step it up to a 6# not any difference than the 4# mono...plenty strong!

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER and
    SBF
    authorized by: billbob and "G"
    aka: Baconator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boogullman View Post
    ... I was wondering is it strong as mono.
    4# line is 4# line. The material doesn't determine the strength. Line diameter does.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    4# line is 4# line. The material doesn't determine the strength. Line diameter does.
    This is it in a nut shell!!! My Father uses excel line period!!! Excel is great line,Great price does the job you want it(line) to do will not be satisifed with any other!!! Stick with what works for you!! if it catches fish Why switch!!!! Now if your friend is catching a limit and your not getting a bite its time to switch!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the fluorocarbon does not cast as well on small spool spinning reels. I use it for leaders, but I tried 2 different brands and it just is not as limp as mono. I have not tried the nanofil line yet, but it gets good reviews.
    If your buddy is catching lots more fish than you and you are both using 4# test line, I can personally guarantee you the line is not the reason.
    Just like if your buddy is outdriving you on the golf course and he is using a different golf ball than you, it ain't the ball making the difference. Old Indian Proverb, "It ain't the bow, it is the Indian."
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

For the situation you describe--deep bites, especially in cold water--fluorocarbon's greater sensitivity could indeed help you feel more bites than mono.

When you try it, ask your buddy what knot he's been using. Some knots that work well on mono don't on fluorocarbon. The San Diego Jam Knot is a good fluorocarbon line knot.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A crappie legend friend of our went fishing with us back in the spring and showed us the Nano-fil from berkly.He was using 10 test -4 lb dia the wind was blowing that day 15-20 mph could not get out of the wind.We were using mono (mr crappie camo),my father was using his excel)!!! Our Friend was catching 10 fish to our 1.The nano-fil he could not only fill the bite but could see the line jump in the 15-20 mph wind.Its pricy but well worth it espically fishing deep water 20-25 ft deep!!!(just our 2-cents what it is worth) and it lasts and heat don't seem to bother it!! Have been catching several crappie lately(in august) never before and know the line(nano-fil) is making the difference!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Fluorocarbon is quite a bit stiffer than mono. When used on small diameter spools I have noticed a substantial decrease in casting distance with 4# fluorocarbon when compared to 4# mono - especially with light lures (small jigs, trout spinners, etc). If you are only doing vertical jigging it should work fine though.

Have you considered spooling up with a thin braid of some sort (which is more sensitive than fluorocarbon) and then tying on a fluorocarbon leader? I have had good luck doing this for line-shy trout and crappies.