Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Great fishing and day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great fishing and day!

A cool front finally started coming in from the north with a 5-10 mph wind and dryer and cooler air. Intermittent clouds helped get the fish to go more shallow and that usually means more bites. My local lake has a lily pad species with stems that come from a central point on bottom. They usually group separately form one another pads and one pattern they allow is using soft plastics and jigs to get down a few feet in the shady areas of the leaves. I also used a bobber and 2' leader in 5' around the stems and caught over twenty slabs, a few over one foot!

Note: It seems that the bite is more powerful and the fish bigger when using a float and jig slowly dragged past targets such as pad edges, isolated stem groups and into pockets. Mixed in with the slabs were some nice size white perch which are always super aggressive!

I began to map the drops in the north end and found afer thirty years of fishing this lake, structure I never new existed and shallow fingers (walls?) extending much further out than I knew of. As long as I fished in less than 5' way out from shore, I caught fish. In shallower water sunfish and small white perch were biting as well as a 3lb plus largemouth and a 1.5 lb smallmouth bass. Everything was caught in the wind protected north end and all fish were caught from 12 pm to 5 pm.
    Total catch for all species was over 40.

Late in the day a hump, mid lake, held crappie and white perch and two anchors were needed to hold the Ranger in a 12mph northwest wind.

Superb day and one I'll savor for a long time!

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Ok where are the pics and what time os dinner?

FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Had the camera but I didn't think anything picture worthy. I'm sure you catch slabs over a foot long and know what they look like. LOL When I fish tomorrow I'll take pics of the lily pads in deeper open water that held some of the best fish and post them. It's an invasive species that up until last year didn't exist on this water. Must have come into the lake on someone's trailer.