Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I got some great news recently

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got some great news recently

Some of you guys may have recognized my avatar picture as the Ribbon for Multiple Sclerosis. I have volunteered with the Oklahoma chapter of the MS Society going on 9 years next month. It started out easily enough. I had a fellow cycling buddy as me if I wanted to drive a SAG (support and gear) truck for the MS 150 bike tour almost 9 years ago. I asked what all was involved and he basically told me that they would give me a new truck for the weekend and my job would be to pick up "HitchHikers" in spandex. In return I would meet a bunch of new people, help out a great charity, get to drive a new truck, free camping and free food for the weekend with all the free beer I could drink at the Saturday night party that is held every year during the event. I told him sure I would do it.

It was a an interesting event that year. We (the ride) had a major accident for the first time in the 19 years the event had been happening. I was the first on the scene that day. I guess I handled myself properly because the next year they asked me back, but they wanted me on the planning committee,safety committee and they also wanted me to run all of the SAG trucks. It has truly been a life changing duty for me. I have met some great people and this is now a charity that is extremely close to my heart.

I have now been running all of the SAG support for the last 8 years, along with being on a few committees and helping the organization in any way that I could. I have made lifetime friends, started a DIY fundraising effort to help raise awareness about this decease that affects so many people. I have even built a 1938 Ford P.U. rat rod to lead events with.

Anyway back to the story. Last week on Tuesday August 13th, I received a phone call from the president of the Oklahoma Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. He offered me a job making a considerable amount more than I was making at my other job. It is only a temporary position, but it is leading to a full time salary position if everything goes right. They want me to basically make sure all of the supplies and vendors are in place for a few of the events coming up this fall including the BikeMS event.

Long story made a little shorter. I am now the “Logistics Coordinator” for theOklahoma Chapter of the NMSS’s Bike MS and various MS walks through the end of the year. This is a 40 to 60 hour a week job for the next few weeks. I will mainly be making sure everything and everyone that is suppose be someplace will be where they are suppose to be. With this job comes a company truck, a laptop, my own office, a minor expense account and the job of helping out a great charity that has become dear to my heart.

Thank you for reading if you are still reading this as long as it is.

Bobo

Pictures are below.

Name:  IMG_9826C.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  51.5 KBName:  MS toyota 2013.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  18.8 KB
    My Hot Rod that I built to help raise awareness and my company truck. BTW Toyota is a national sponsor of the MS Society. I prefer Fords but I am not going to complain about having this Toyota for a company truck. It's a 2014 Tundra donated by Toyota to the Oklahoma Chapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Man oh man, when I read your first post on CDC, I had a good feeling about you; now I know why! The work and passion for what you are doing is awesome! Thank you so much for what you do. BTW, I love my little Toyota pickup!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrads. Most of us will never get to do what we are passionate about for the grub.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Most people don't get to work for something they hold dear, while you are with them it won't be like work....more like play with wonderful rewards! Again congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Any time some one commits themselves to a charity like you have for the past nine years, they deserve a standing ovation. Congrats on the job. I look up to people like you, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepants View Post
    Any time some one commits themselves to a charity like you have for the past nine years, they deserve a standing ovation. Congrats on the job. I look up to people like you, thanks!
    No reason to look up to me buddy. I just pick up hitch hikers in spandex with broken bicycles. Thanks though. Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Good job. Good deeds do not go unnoticed! Congrats!!!
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Well in the first two weeks working for the MS Society here in Tulsa, I managed to work 86 hours for the Society. 35 my first couple of days and 51 last week. I also put in about 45 hour total at my part time job. LOL I am exhausted but I really love working for the MS Society. This is going to make our goal of getting a newer MiniVan or a SUV so I can open the bait shop this coming spring a lot easier. This Friday I will start ordering some supplies from some of the folks on here. I also plan on becoming a vendor sponsor this coming weekend at the latest. So what do you all think of the name of my wife and I's little endeavor "Bobo's Mobil Bait and Tackle" "We don't clown around about Fishing." ? My father always wanted to own a bait shop. He passed away on father's day this year. We are hoping to make his dream come true through us. Thanks again for all of the kind words and well wishes...... Bobo