Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows

We need to start a campaign to have Ks bait shops to sell minnows by the pound. That is the most honest for the consumer and the seller. The lake side connivance store at the Glen sold 1 pound of minnows to us this spring for 18.50 thats just about 200 medium minnows. That is a lot cheaper than 25 cents a minnow we are paying now. OK bait stores mostly sell by the pound.

Post Thanks / Like

It through me off last month when we were at Eufaula in OK. I asked for 3 dozen minnnows and the lady said "how many pounds is that?" I told here to just start putting them in til I said "when". I then realized what she was doing. Different but it did seem more exact/fair.

In all my years of fishing I've only had someone actually count them once and boy let me tell you that 2 dozen minnows does not look like much when it is actually 2 dozen minnows. I have no doubt I've always gotten more than I asked for - some places more than others. Green Acres was by far the most generous. Actually, almost ridiculous TBH.

Post Thanks / Like

How many large chub minnows or medium shiners would one expect to be in 1 pound?
    Chubs are easier to keep alive this time of year compared to shiners that seam to require cold water and/or more oxygen.
    I was told that bait shop minnows that are raised in hatcheries don't live in lake water very long. What is your best way to keep them alive at the lake?
    I am using a plastic minnow bucket with the flotation removed, weight added and aquarium aireator, sunk down 5 feet, but still loose around 1/2 after a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Dan View Post
    How many large chub minnows or medium shiners would one expect to be in 1 pound?
    Chubs are easier to keep alive this time of year compared to shiners that seam to require cold water and/or more oxygen.
    I was told that bait shop minnows that are raised in hatcheries don't live in lake water very long. What is your best way to keep them alive at the lake?
    I am using a plastic minnow bucket with the flotation removed, weight added and aquarium aireator, sunk down 5 feet, but still loose around 1/2 after a few days.
    One thing I don't see enough people doing is acclimating the minnows to the water temp. Typically people just dump them straight into the bucket and throw it in the lake. The quick change in temperature shocks them. Think about jumping in a pool on a summer day, takes a bit to get used to it; minnows are far more frail than us. I recommend getting the minnows in a bag and not in the bucket. When you get to the lake, fill the bucket with lake water but keep the minnows in the bag and set it in the water. Let it slowly even out for a bit, then you can put the minnows in the bucket and the minnows will be more used to the lake water. One thing I like to do is keep them in a cooler with an aerator and some ice cubes. The cold water requires less oxygen to keep them alive. I've kept minnows for weeks doing it this way.

I like the shops that just fill a bag and don't count lol. There's been times I order a dozen and probably get 50. By the pound would likely be very fair for both parties though and I wouldn't be against it.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually get minnows from Minnesota Bait in KC, K. and have them put in an air bag with oxygen which keeps them good until I get out to Clinton. I'll try putting the bag in my live well with fresh lake water still in the bag for a while to acclimate them to the lake temp and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use minnows but my bud does and Around here......individually counting them hell......each one comes with a name & certificate of birth. You say 2 dz and its 24 you get.

little to no chance of by the pound happening here

Post Thanks / Like

The shell station off gardner road sells them by the pound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a round aerated live minnow keeper I use rain water caught in barrels for water, no lake water ever, I can keep minnow alive for about a week but must change out water every other day.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pound of fathead minnows that are used in pond stocking, they sure lasted a lot better in the stock tank than shiners. Only problem is they are pretty small, largest fathead=small shiner, lots were to small to hook. Will see if I can order large or x-large fatheads, they would be good bait if they're the right size. The crappie had no problem eating them when used to tip a jig, thought they were to small to use stand alone on a k-rig. Been catching enough on jigs and nibbles to keep the fry daddy busy so doubt I'll use minnows till next spring........maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Center12 are you fishing Clinton? I tried there last week and could only manage 4 keepers (released), I tried the trees by the far west ramp and went up to Rock Creek and went back as far as the eagles nest but no bites. I also tried trees along the main channel in the Wakarusa arm......just nothing biting for me. I used a jig tipped with a minnow, a tube and a nibble....man it has been sucky fishing everywhere I've gone since winter!
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast