Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Mr. Crappie New Reel Review

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Mr. Crappie New Reel Review

Just my

I have been putting off mentioning anything about the Wally Marshall Spinning Reels that are on the shelves now, but after reading KMAN's post about the Jiggin' Reel, I thought I'd put in another plug for Wally. KMAN is right on spot about Wally taking the time to talk to you. I once talked to him while he was in Dallas at a Professional Bull Riding Rodeo late at night and he never shunned me the first time. As KMAN said, " You just don't get that kind of social graces or professionalism from anyone these days...but I got it from him!"

For those of you that don't know me, I am a Long Line Troller...I don't jig, cast, tight line or fish with a cork and minner. These are all very effective ways to catch crappie and I have done them all. But there is something about long lining jigs, or pulling jigs if you will, that has cast a spell on me. So everything in this post is from a Long Liners point of view only.

I started Pullin' Jigs about 8 years ago. I have used probably every brand name of rod there is. Most of them were too flimsy for long lining and it always looked like you were dragging something and some were just real cheap and would easily break trying to pull your jig off of a stump. So, 5 years ago, I "splurged" and bought a 10 foot Wally Marshall Signature Series rod. After catching my first 2 or 3 fish on it, I just had to let my fishing buddy feel how the rod felt reeling in a Lake Talquin slab. It was like no other feeling any other rod has ever had. It had the backbone I had been looking for. So, I bought another one, and another and another. I ended up with 8 Wally Marshalls in the front (The IM6's) and just used my shorter el-cheapo's out the back of the boat. I also have 5 WM's in the garage for spares. My fishing buddy ended up buying all Wally Marshall's for his boat and when he would fish with me, he would take my el-cheapo's out of the boat and bring his 7 and 8 footer WM rods to fish with. (Slab knows about my el-cheapo's... ) I'll have you some better rods next time Slab!! I am in the process of buying 8-7 foot WM rods for the back of my boat to go along with the 18's, 14's, 10's and 8's I already have. I could say more about the abuse I have put these rods thru at Lake Talquin, aka The Lumberyard, (known for its stumps), and I have only broken 1 rod which was my fault and broke another because I stepped on it But that's another story for another day.

By now you are wondering where this New Reel Review is...As I mentioned earlier, I had to have reels for all the rods I have bought and I have tried many, many different "spinning" reels. I really love the Pflueger, but they are pricey...Worth it but pricey. I bought some WM spinning reels at BPS 3-4 years ago and was disappointed in them so I just just stuck with my cheap Diawa 1500 and 2500 reels. Couldn't beat them for the price and I still have most of them today. But earlier this year, Rawdog from the GA Forum, talked me into trying the new spinning reel that Wally came out with. He actually told me the story about a conversation he and Wally had about his "earlier'' reels, but they can tell that story..... Rawdog told me that if I was not 100% happy with the reels that he would buy them from me. Heck, what did I have to lose. The first 2 that I bought was the Wally Marshall Signature Series WMS 50. This reel will hold 80 yards of 6 lb line (Oh by the way, I use Mr. Crappie 6# Hi-Vis) and it has a super smooth 6 Ball Bearing System with a 5.2:1 gear ratio. The drag works great. The reel casts and retrieves as smooth as any reel I have ever used. And reasonably priced. Paired up with a Wally Marshall rod, you can't go wrong.

But there was 1 drawback. As I mentioned earlier, I Long Line Lake Talquin which is full of stumps. Even with Litewirehooks, you are gonna get hung up and break your line at times. The WMS 50 has too small of a spool on it for long lining. I usually put new line on every Fall and with Mr. Crappie line, I never have to put any more line on unless the spool gets too little line to cast out for trolling. My other reels hold 150-200 yards of line. So I bought a couple of WMS 100's to try...Same great review as the 50, but the spool is still a little smaller than what I would like. It only holds 90 yards of 6# test line. It's not going to keep me from using the reel, I'll just have to put new line on more often. By the time October gets here and I am in the full swing of Fall and Winter time crappie fishing, my boat will be 100% Wally Marshall rods, reels and line. I haven't tried his baits yet but I'll eventually try them also.

Name:  WMReel 006.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  74.6 KB

With all fairness, I have tried the BnM PST rods and they are also very good rods for trolling. I just happen to like the WM rods better. We all have our opinions and this is just my opinion from my past experiences as a long liner. On a scale of 5 Stars, I give these reels 4.5 Stars....And 5 Stars when the reels will hold about 50-100 more yards of line!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-21-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dynamite review Tim. Thanks for sharing.

Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Dynamite review Tim. Thanks for sharing.
    You had to dig deep for that Video

Post Thanks / Like

ove the chair (not a seat) the fella in the video is sitting and rotating. Someone teell me about the make and all.

Thanks

Pepper
    Jeremiah 29:11

God says he has plans for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpepper View Post
    ove the chair (not a seat) the fella in the video is sitting and rotating. Someone teell me about the make and all.

Thanks

Pepper
    Here is a link that tells everything about the boat and the seats.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/flori...ject-boat.html

Everyone that has fished in the boat loves the comfort of those chairs. They really save your back after a long day on the water...I think Slab even caught a nap when he wasn't making videos

Post Thanks / Like

Do yo have the superslide handle on you wm rods---------------im all about wally in yellow
    CG1 "Dances with fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Tim you are giving us boat invy

Post Thanks / Like

When he puts a trigger on it like my shimanos i will jump on the bandwagon!!!!

Quickhook (gary)

Post Thanks / Like

TnT, I build boats for a living, custom aluminum boats...Ive seen literally thousands come and go over the last 13 years so I know what it means to be proud of something like that. I have to say, I am rarely impressed, but YOU did a fantastic job on that boat restoration! I went back and read all 8 pages of that post and each page I couldn't wait to see what you did next!

You should be proud of that boat and the work and care you put into it. You took a boat that I would have considered useless and made it into a PERFECT crappie machine with more comfort than one could have imagined.

Hate to hijack the thread, but DANG man, great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    TnT, I build boats for a living, custom aluminum boats...Ive seen literally thousands come and go over the last 13 years so I know what it means to be proud of something like that. I have to say, I am rarely impressed, but YOU did a fantastic job on that boat restoration! I went back and read all 8 pages of that post and each page I couldn't wait to see what you did next!

You should be proud of that boat and the work and care you put into it. You took a boat that I would have considered useless and made it into a PERFECT crappie machine with more comfort than one could have imagined.

Hate to hijack the thread, but DANG man, great job!
    Thx for the kind words, KMAN...It took me 9 months, off and on, to get it ready for the water but I am really enjoying it. It rides great, handles rough water pretty decent, plenty of room and the #1 thing is the windshield. My fiance and I took it out for the first time last November and it was in the 40's. Doing 40 mph across the water without her freezing her butt off made me alot of points with her!!! Having a comfortable chair to sit in is running a close 2nd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast