Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another good family outing on MTL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another good family outing on MTL

Just got back and unpacked from our second consecutive weekend camping/fishing at MTL. Stayed at RB again, fished all around the eastern end of the lake, north and south of the dam - just hitting "favorite spots", mostly 20-30' of water on rocky points.
    Still catching 7" fish at about 6:1 vs 9" fish, but we cleaned 4 limits on Saturday, and another 20 or so this morning. Biggest fish on roadrunners and slab busters, but most fish caught on minnows.
    Got off the lake by lunchtime Saturday when it got too choppy to fish on the main channel points, and when we went back out to fish the late afternoon through dusk the bite had tailed off. Back on this morning though. Sure wish we could consistently catch the larger fish at MTL like we do at LOZ and Truman. Oh well - still better than not catching.
    Added a couple of decent channel cats and one nice big flathead to the mix (trotline), and ended up with three big bags of fish for the next fry.

Beautiful weather, tanned my noggin', and the kids got along well enough so that we didn't have to beat them. All in all a darned good time. Back to work tomorrow though.
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun weekend

Post Thanks / Like

sound like fun! always a good weekend when the fish bite and ya dont have to whip the kids! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wishin I was fishn sounds like a good time had by all. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

glad you had a great time

Post Thanks / Like

I was up there around the same time Saturday, we caught at least 60 shorts in 5 hours, probably more, kids had a great time. Got some tubin in for em too, that always settles them down after a morning of fishing. Nothin on my trot line, any recommendations on bait?

Post Thanks / Like

outstanding weekend man, congrats. and to top it off no kid troubles, such nice children...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hucklburry View Post
    I was up there around the same time Saturday, we caught at least 60 shorts in 5 hours, probably more, kids had a great time. Got some tubin in for em too, that always settles them down after a morning of fishing. Nothin on my trot line, any recommendations on bait?
    Hucklburry - We used Goldfish and bluegills. I really like flatheads, and usually catch those and channel cats on lines or jugs along the steep channel-side bluffs. I usually tie to two trees about 6'-10' from the bluff, and like to do it near a point.
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlsiv View Post
    Hucklburry - We used Goldfish and bluegills. I really like flatheads, and usually catch those and channel cats on lines or jugs along the steep channel-side bluffs. I usually tie to two trees about 6'-10' from the bluff, and like to do it near a point.
    I was on a similar setup, but think I am lacking the proper bait. Thanks!