Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing bait question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing bait question

I am new to crappie fishing and have watched several videos on you tube of guys wearing them out under lights at night. My question is do you bring your minnows with you or are you catching the shad swimming around the lights and using them for bait? Also, if you are using the shad, what is the best way to catch them and keep them alive? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Both, I start with the minnows we bring with us. But I also keep a cast net in the boat. I'll take a sand ball and throw it in the water and cast the net over the bait where I just tossed the sand ball. The sand will make the bait confused and cloud the water so they do not run from the net.

Post Thanks / Like

in Arkansas it is illegal to throw a net at night on some big lakes. norfork for sure. We have a couple of 6 ft or so long gill nets we hang over the side and the shad swim into them. you look down see a few in the net and pull it up and use them. drop it back and wait for more.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows only for me.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the responses. I'm definitly going to try the gill net. That's a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

ONLY IF YOU RUN OUT OF MINNOWS