Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Auger sharpening

Post Thanks / Like

Question Auger sharpening

Doug will need to sharpen the blades on the hand auger before ice up this year. Best method? He has a Craftsmen wet sharpener that he uses on all my kitchen knives. That or will a file used on chain saws do? - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Doug will need to sharpen the blades on the hand auger before ice up this year. Best method? He has a Craftsmen wet sharpener that he uses on all my kitchen knives. That or will a file used on chain saws do? - Roberta
    Roberta, I would think that the wet sharpener would have too fine of a stone for that. Years ago. a friend of mine kept a high quality flat file on hand and had no problem keeping his sharp.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auger Sharpener

Roberta, There's a good sharpener made by Lazer.It's the LAZER DELUX ICE AUGER SHARPENER WILL SHARPEN ALL STIRKEMASTER AUGER BLADES.You can find them here at National Sports Supply I've used this sharpener for a few years know and haven't bought any new blades since.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    We have an order form from the maker of our auger that has one of those Lazer sharpeners in it. Price isn't bad and would pay for itself over a few years if it's as good as you say. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Default sharp auger

Robert, I know you can send in your old blades to Strikemaster and they will sharpen them for you. If I recall correctly it is only a couple dollars. Sharpening the blades is a tricky chore, since they are designed to have an exact angle, if you get off that angle by the slightest bit, the auger won't cut very well. Also you can buy replacement blades for a nominal fee at any sporting goods store that sells ice fishing gear. And I have seen them listed on ebay as well.

I say this because just last year I broke my Mora auger, and decided to go to my back up auger, spoon type. Before I left for the lake I sharpened that blade up very sharp. Well when I got on the ice, it took everything I had to go through 3 or 4 inches of ice. I packed up took a trip to my favorite tackle shop and bought the Lazer 5 incher, wanted the 4 incher but they were sold out at the time. Just because it is sharp doesn't mean it will cut, you need the right angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good point

>>>. Just because it is sharp doesn't mean it will cut, you need the right angle.<<<

Just like a chain saw.

We have a Mora 6". The 2002 literature has an offer for replacement blades for $9.95 with the return of the old ones. The sharpener, which is designed to hone at the correct angle, is also $9.95, but I'm sure prices have gone up. I'll check their website for current prices.

I'll give Doug all the options and he can decide what to do. We're a good month away from ice up unless the temps really drop into the cellar. - Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 12-12-2004 at 10:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lazer Sharpener

This is what it looks like,it has a half shaped V to get the right sharpening angle on the blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had Doug take a look at the Strikemasert web site and he's going to call tomorrow to order a sharpener. Thanks for the info. - Roberta