Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New water

Post Thanks / Like

Default New water

Dan, I'm gonna slip in a second question here and ask. If you were to give some sound advice to a fella on fishing a new lake, where would you tell him to look for the crappie?

I struggle getting on fish at times on new bodies of water.

By the way, thanks for sharing on crappie.com!
    Last edited by David Schneider; 08-15-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    It's just about being out there, doing what you enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry everyone, had this answer all typed out and my connection went down.

I have a process I use when going fishing. Even on my home water.

I used this same process when I worked a crappie camp in PA this May when I did not get any practice time on three different lakes in three days. Caught 65 on the last lake on day three.

I always research on the web, talk to local fishermen, visit bait shops and study maps before going to fish.

I buy or use preloaded software for the electronics such as Navionics.

I look for spawning grounds as the fish normally can be found somewhere near there, even in the summer or winter. I like to fish the fertile areas of the lake as bigger fish live in those areas.

Once on the water, I spend time on the electronics using side finder and Down Image technologies. They work and work well.

In practice on Beaver Lake in Arkansas this year, I placed 4th in the tournament by marking these key areas and fished four of them. I don't move much once I zero in on a good area.

I use the color selector down to the depth I have found the fish hanging out and use it periodically during the day.

Water temp, weather, moon phases are also taken into account and once I find the active fish, color, depth area, I concentrate on replicating the pattern

Speed can also be a factor. Last Sunday I caught 37 spider rigging and had to move at .1 to .2 MPH on GPS

Post Thanks / Like

That pretty much sums it up for me, thank you sir!
    It's just about being out there, doing what you enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

You are very welcome.