Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: MTL report (last weekend & this week)

Post Thanks / Like

Default MTL report (last weekend & this week)

With all the rain down south, we took the kids up to MTL last weekend (8/10-8/11). Camped at RB, fished around Blackjack, north and south of the dam. Caught fish on bluff points on the main channel everywhere we went. Easily caught 100 fish Saturday morning, got off the lake when the pleasure boaters made it too rough to fish, and caught more Saturday evening. Fished for few hours Sunday morning and probably caught close to 100 again. Virtually all dinks though... Couldn't hardly buy fish over 9", but 7" fish were jumping in the boat nonstop. Fished minnows in 22'-30' of water, jigging with a split shot and a #2 Aberdeen about 10-12' down.

Had a lot o fun at one point, as we had 3 fish on lines, a bald eagle trying to get a dead fish not far from the boat, and Lucy the Labradork decided that'd be a good time to slip into the water like an otter. Pandemonium. Laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. With a Jr and a Sophomore in HS now, we probably won't have a lot more of these trips left.

Good family time, but hoping to boat some bigger fish this weekend.
    Might try LOZ.

My buddy has a cabin up at MTL and he is reporting fishing the last couple of days is basically the same. Catching a million shorts but you might starve for keepers.
    The Samples Family
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

nice report, had to be alot of fun with the family. I had pretty good luck with black and chartreuse and red and chartreuse slab busters.

Post Thanks / Like

those little fish will have to grow up sometime, and then it will be a blast at twain!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report on the family outing. Sounds like the lower unit is working good. I bet you'll do good at LOZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbornhop View Post
    those little fish will have to grow up sometime, and then it will be a blast at twain!
    I keep thinking exactly that, but year after year the crappie at MTL always seem smaller than LOZ or Truman.

Post Thanks / Like

You and your kids will probably always remember that trip because of all the activity in and out of the boat. Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's a bunch of feeshess!!! even if they was a little small.sounds like a lot of fun to me!! And having the family along makes it a hole lot better.

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

WTG, Ralph...sounds like a blast.

Good luck on your next outing!