Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod length

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod length

Has anyone seen a major difference between 12', 14' or 16' trolling rods for spider rigging? I've had a lot of times when I could be directly over the fish even when they are shallow in the water column.
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

Rod length for rigging is mainly determined by two factors. One is the depth at which you most often fish and how your boat is set up. If your running in deeper water you may want a longer rod to keep your lines out closer to the forward edge of your sonar cone but more important is keeping them out of the trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

I am just the opposite of toofuss. I normally use much shorter rods when I am fishing deep. I just use more weight to keep the lines vertical. Now" when I am fishing shallow, I want at least 14' rods to keep the bait out in front of the boat as much as possible to keep from spooking the fish.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Longer poles equates to a wider spread. I like to cover a wide swath of water.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't the longer pole wider spread apply to rods out to the side only? It seams in front you will be covering that water anyway.
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. Think of it like this. Your poles should be fanned out evenly. With 10' poles, you are only effectively covering approx. 25' swath in front of you. With 16'ers that swath is 36' to 38'.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

The longer they are the easier they are to see for me. With shorter rods i am constantly having to scan from side to side.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A member of CDC that works at BPS in Kodak, TN(Knoxville) explained the spread theory once and it made sense to me. He spends a lot of time pushing cranks and has worked out his system very well. He uses 18' rods out the front and some shorter rods alongside. I believe he uses 4 of the 18's and 2 16's. He said that the boat creates both shade and a pressure wave that the fish react to, and noise also. He uses up to 6 ozof weight to keep the baits in the right zone and depth while at the right speed. The longer rods present the baits before the fish react to the negative influences we make. In trolling cranks behind, Terry Whaley in AL told me much the same thing. He said that the fish react to the boats passing and move aside(to a point) as the boat passes and the wider spread allows the fish to still see the baits after they have moved into what they feel is a comfort zone. Both these folks are way more experienced than I am, and what they have said has worked for me many times. One of these days I'll get off my wallet and buy some of the heavier, longer poles so I can also begin pushing cranks and quit making turns like an aircraft carrier.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I've used all of the above and have opted for the 14'ers . It's kind of a happy medium, works in most situations kinda thing.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease