Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shad at Melvern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad at Melvern

Has anyone been netting or seeing shad at Melvern. Last year they where almost nonexistent. I was thinking of making a trip down there this weekend for some crappie and blues but didn't know if bait is easier to find this year.
    Last edited by Kansasoutdoorsman; 08-09-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed shad being driven to the top on numerous occasions this past month. Cast into them and caught white bass that were stuffed with very small shad. Keep us posted if you are able to net them. I have never done that but it sounds like fun!

Post Thanks / Like

There are some not numerous, like Charlie said sometimes you can see W bass chasing them but was out past three days did not see any. Also did not catch many fish. I was always in The East portion of the lake, so West portion might be different

Post Thanks / Like

I drifted there last Saturday night with a friend, and it was very tough to find shad. We only caught two shad for the night, which were both about six inches long. The guy we talked to at the ramp said he had a difficult time finding bait as well. Luckily, we brought some bait with us. A 15lb blue, 10lb channel, and 2lb channel were the only fish caught. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

They were very thick in a couple of coves we fished around Turkey Point a couple weeks ago. These were tiny, YOY shad. There were some one the dam and everything was tearing them up after it got dark.