Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: July

Post Thanks / Like

Default July

It was a pretty interesting month, fishing wise. Caught my largest channel catfish out of Walnut Creek, my first common carp, my first and largest smallmouth bass and a Master Angler shortnose gar. I also enjoyed catching my limit on bluegills several times and got a stomach ache from eating too many filets.

I haven't been hitting the crappie as hard as I did last year. But with things heading into fall, that will change. Its like I am saving the best fishing for last.

I've also gotten into setting up bank lines overnight for catfish and whatever else I can get out of the rivers. The only sad part is that I have had trouble finding good spots or locations where I don't have to worry about folks finding them and robbing the lines of my catch before I get an opportunity to check them in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good stuff Chris. I will be hunting the suspended crappie this fall also!
    Year round fishing is the way to go

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be nice to find a few this fall. I was about to put out an AMBER alert on my local lake for crappie this last month. Trigger, any optimistic news out of "the Hoo"?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I haven't found many crappie this summer either. Just a random one here and there. Any of you guys fish BO much in the summer for all the crappie that are suspended? Probably a PIA to fish for them with all the boaters out there though.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never made the trip out to Branched Oak. Makes me wish I was still living in Lincoln.

Post Thanks / Like

BO is supposedly good for cats if you know how to fish for them and crappie is best in spring and late fall there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jordy1380 View Post
    Yeah, I haven't found many crappie this summer either. Just a random one here and there. Any of you guys fish BO much in the summer for all the crappie that are suspended? Probably a PIA to fish for them with all the boaters out there though.
    I've had success @ BO in late June-Aug. fishing the sharp breaks on the North side. These tight contours are near the marina main-lake points. Also, what’s left of the old river channel in the North arm can produce crappie this time of year. The submerged trees in the North arm should be holding some fish and get better as we get towards Sept. and cooler temps. I’d suggest trolling of some kind and once you find them I’d switch to vertical jigging.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer