PDA

View Full Version : Fishing rod for throwing jigs

jsutherland1991
08-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I have never thrown jigs. Always fished with minnows and have done well. Want to add jigs to the arsenal. Done some research thanks to the experience and knowledge this site offers but one question I could not find is what pole is best for throwing them 1/32oz and 1/16oz jigs. I have pflueger presidents 25 and 30 series. Also any more advice for my first time out throwing jigs is always welcomed.

Thanks

deathb4disco
08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
How much do you want to spend?

PanfishHunter
08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
i have a Shakespeare micro graphite rod. 4'6" they come in bigger sizes. that little ultra light has withstood catfish, white bass, carp, you name it. its like an ugly stik without the price of the name. 15-20 dollars at walmart. Sensitive rod. 5 stars.

popper
08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
I jig fish but I don't throw them I tight line them or fish them under a cork :fish

jsutherland1991
08-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I would like to keep it around 50-100. Less is always welcomed.

Locator79
08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
For casting jigs I like a 6'6" light action Loomis. Any rod with a good feel will do, for all day casting the most important thing IMO is to have your rod and reel well balanced.

jackie53
08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Bass Pro has their fall sale going on starting the 12th of Aug!!!!! Might be worth a look!!!

justinp61
08-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I like a 6' 6" to 7' lite or ultralight for casting jigs. IMHO the quality of the rod is more important than the reel. Rods are like buying any other tool, buy the best you can afford.

jsutherland1991
08-07-2013, 01:17 PM
One more question how do you maintain a certain depth? Is there a technique or is it just through practice?

jeepguyjames
08-07-2013, 07:03 PM
7ft light fast action of the best St croix you can swing.......

CrappiePappy
08-07-2013, 09:24 PM
One more question how do you maintain a certain depth? Is there a technique or is it just through practice?

IMHO :twocents

JS ... for casting jigs that size, which is what I use 99% of the time, I recommend a 6'6"-7'6'" fast action rod. I'm currently using a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod for my jig casting. I "have" used 5' to 8' rods, from UL to Med action ... most of them having a parabolic bend. A parabolic bend isn't all that significant, if you're fishing more or less vertical. It's when you're fishing more in a horizontal situation, that the parabolic bend lessens your hookset power. A parabolic bend means the rod bends more or less like a C, evenly spread out from tip to handle. A fast action rod bends more or less like a J, with the "bend" being more in the tip third of the rod's length. So, with less overall bend in your rod, the length of the rod recovers more line/slack with less arm/rod motion. It also puts more "power" into the hookset, over the distance between the rod & bait, since the parabolic bend does dampen that power, somewhat.

Practice never hurts ... but, using the countdown method can shorten the learning curve, even if you're not particularly accurate in your counting technique. As long as you're consistent in how you count, it doesn't matter what fall rate your bait has. What I mean is ... you cast your jig and it lands in the water -- then you start counting "one Indiana", "two Indiana", etc. -- then you start your retrieve, which should be only fast enough to keep up with the slack produced by the swinging of the jig back towards you. You can start with a "one" count and keep adding a count on each subsequent cast ... or you can count the jig down until it hits bottom, then subtract one count on each cast. I don't usually use the countdown method for water depths of less than 10ft, but that's because I already know that my 1/16oz jig/plastic is going to bottom out at around 8ft halfway back on a normal cast's distance. But, it really doesn't matter if your count & jig fall rate are not in sync or exactly accurate ... as long as you're consistent in your counting rate. And that's because it really doesn't matter what rate the jig is falling or how fast you count, as long as you remember what count you were on when the bite comes. Being able to consistently repeat the distance of the cast, count number, & counting rate ... means your bait will likely be at the proper depth ... even if you think your bait is 6ft deep, when in fact it's 8ft deep.

There's also the use of a float to be considered ... (ie Float & Fly technique) ... which can be useful when you cannot allow your jig to go below a certain depth, or when it's necessary for the jig to remain in a specific spot for a length of time.

... cp :kewl

jsutherland1991
08-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Thank you crappiepappy. That was exactly what I was looking for.

crappiemax
08-08-2013, 05:14 AM
If you don't want to break the bank the Crappie Maxx rods at BPS aren't bad. I have 3 of the 6'-6" model, I think they are light action. I agree with everyone, go with something that is the 6'-6" to 7'-6" light action and you should be fine.
I use either 4# or 6# line and mostly use 1/32 or 1/16 jig heads. I guess 1/16 is my go to.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is I would avoid using the very small tiny little reels. I would go at least 1 size larger than those super small UL reels. The larger spool size will allow you to make much longer casts. In the Pflueger President line up I believe the model I was looking at was the it was the 6930 size but I won't swear to it. I ended up finding a great deal on some Diawas and went with them.
What "pappy" said about the count down was spot on. It will allow to fish cover the water column and you'll be able to consistently work the same depth on repeated casts once you locate the depth the fish are holding.
Jigs are very effective even in winter. Last winter we fished every week we could get out and caught fish on jigs every time out we just slowed our retrieves a bit.
Good luck.

brushnjigs
08-08-2013, 09:29 AM
sent ya a pm

IkenI
08-08-2013, 09:47 AM
crappiepappy is right on. I would like to throw this in for your consideration. I went from 6'6" and 7' St Croix rods over to Falcon BuCoo rods. I now own four of them. They are all light actions with a fast tip between 6' and 6'9" (except one is an UL - it throws like an UL but feels like a light, just too short for most use.) The 6' is my absolute favorite of the bunch. American made, extremely sensitive and light rods. They are in your price range. A brand new one from them is a 6' Jason Christie signature Crappie rod. I saw one of the first off the line at a local dealer. It is superb. It's at the top of your price range. I agree with crappiemax about the reel size, also.

I have no connection with the company (except for spending $$ on their gear!)

CRIA1576
08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
I totally agree on the UL reel topic also. I bought a middle of the road (~$50) Shakespeare UL reel this spring and have been pretty disappointed with casting performance, line twist, and most importantly line getting caught in the bail roller bearing. To avoid additional frustration (and more wasted line) I am going to just tie some 4 or 6 pound on my mid-size reels and go with longer lighter action rods as recommended by others above.

Also, thanks for the rod recommendations above. After biting the bullet and buying a couple of nice St. Croix and other rods, I now truly understand how much a quality rod impacts fishing success.

jsutherland1991
08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Might be false hope but I'm really starting to feel more confident about this trip coming up. Plan on using no minnows and will hopefully be able to share some positive results. I'm using a 6'6'' berkley lightning rod with the 6930 president which holds 6/145 yards
though I plan on making a trip to bps to get a feel on the different st. Croix and other recommended rods to upgrade the lightning rod. (Which I do like and has a good feel but i want a great feel)

CRIA1576
08-08-2013, 03:49 PM
JS- I have owned a few lightnings over the years, and I agree that they are a nice performing rod for the money. I currently have a medium 6'er for all around bassin, catfishing, jigging, etc... It has been a great go-to utility rod, and my only complaint is the cork is drying out prematurely even after oiling.

Is there a thread on here about how to tie/fish the telescopic rods without a reel? I know it is likely very simple, but it wasn't very intuitive to me at Wally World last night. They sell both 13' BnM and a telescopic Abu, both for under $40, and they only have a couple small metal tabs to "hold" the line.

Please advise!

Joe