PDA

View Full Version : Staying on the brush pile

MAB
08-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello everyone. Iím new to the board but have been lurking for a while trying to figure out these crappie. Bought a second hand boat last fall to try my hand at fishing. So far have had poor results trying multiple methods. Iíve been thinking about going out with a guide to learn some techniques but havenít pulled the trigger on that yet.

My boat came with decent electronics so I should be able to find the fish. Iím still having trouble controlling the boat. How do you stay on top of brush piles? I am all over the place with the trolling motor. I end up churning the water all up and probably scaring away all the fish! This spring I took off the junky Motor Guide trolling motor and replaced it with a new Terrova, which is nice, but still canít stay on the brush pile and fish at the same time. What is the trick to this?

jackie53
08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
No 1 marked your brush pile (marker buoy)( not in the brush pile)( just outside).No 2 point your boat into the wind if possible.No 3 put your trolling motor in the slowest speed that will allow you to move up to the brush pile. No 4 we use ozark 10-11' crappie pole's which allows you to drop your bait (minnow/jig) down into the brush and keep your trolling motor away from the brush pile.Start at the outer edge of the brush pile and work your way into the middle of the brush pile. hope this helps!!

Locator79
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Like mentioned, I like to drop a buoy, and fish from different angles.

popper
08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
:welcome :hesaid

MAB
08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the reply's! I will try out your suggestions next time I go out and I will purchase a long jigging rod. I have been using 6' rods. I need a better method than what I am doing now, which is just going out to the deep part of the lake and drifting around. I do catch some fish this way, but they are very small!

Cmj
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Jackie53 pretty much covered it. The buoy marker is a must. As soon as I mark the brush on my depth finder, I throw out a buoy. Then I will troll around and see how the pile lays in relation to my buoy. As Jackie said, start on the outsite and work your way in. I also like to start at the top of the brush and work my way down into it. As for the boat control part, it just comes with practice.

justinp61
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
As others have said use a bouy. It seems that the wind is always blowing when I fish so I toss my bouy on the upwind side of the brush. This way if I blow off I'm blown away from the bouy not over it. An aluminum boat is harder to control in the wind than most glass boats. For vertical fishing I like 12 rods.

Keep after it, you'll get better as time goes on.

MAB
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
As far as TM technique, Is it better to keep the boat pointed into the wind and the motor constant on at whatever speed will maintain a fixed position and try to keep position this way? Or do I keep punching the intermittent on button as I drift off? What method will spook the fish less? Or am I trying too hard?

bfish
08-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Two anchors. Set the first off the bow, then swing in close (using wind or trolling motor). Then set your second (usually off the stern).

MAB
08-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Interesting idea... So put the anchor out upwind and then drift back to the pile and tie off when you're over it?

DrJohn
08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Also, after you put out your buoy marker, you can anchor 10-20 yards from the brush to keep from scaring the fish. Then fish a minnow under a bobber or slip float or use a float and fly technique to get your bait over the brush. Different techniques work on different days so be prepared and willing to change up your approach:) hope you catch a bunch!

rdobbs
08-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I troll 99% of the time, but I like bfish reply. I would probably set bouys one at each
end then anchor down about mid way and try that. I will probably try this method
later in summer.

MAB
08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
I troll 99% of the time, but I like bfish reply. I would probably set bouys one at each
end then anchor down about mid way and try that. I will probably try this method
later in summer.

I tried my hand at trolling cranks yesterday for about an hour, not a single bite that I could detect... I figured I would try because I have heard so much about it and my boat is set up pretty well for it with the Terrova. I set the cruise control for 1.7 mph and trolled 2 crankbaits, one yellow and one pink, in 12-16 feet of water. I cast one bait about half as far back as the other one and held a pole in each hand and waited for a bite. I would love to learn how to make this technique work. The lures I was using were specifically for crappie but other than color didn't look any different than the other crank baits. The package said they would dive 8-10 feet.

Mac Daddy
08-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Since you mentioned that you have a Terrova and assuming your transducer is on the tolling motor. When you spot the brush pile on your fish finder you can hit the anchor on your remote control. Now anyone who has one will tell you the anchor feature will never keep you spot on top of the brush pile. But you may not necessarily want to be totally on top of it anyway but one thing it will do as your boat move with the wind ect. is the trolling motor head is always pointing toward the brush pile use your long jig pole to reach out in the direction the trolling motor is pointing to fish the brush this can work sometimes to see if fish are holding on the brush. If you find some then you can take many of the other actions mentioned to secure your position.

skiptomylu
08-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Good recommendations! Keep a buoy handy and when you are on top the pile throw the buoy out to he side a good bit, but still so you know where it is. tie up or anchor. If you use an anchor depending on what lake and what kind of stUff you can get it hung up on you may want a Chene Anchor because they are 100% retrievable. Make sure not to place your anchor so that it can get even close to your brush pile because if it gets in that you will destroy it,

Crappie Greg
08-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Forget the anchor , bouys are all you'll need to stay on the brush once you've located it, catch the fish that are on it , pick up the bouy and move to the next pile

cnette01
08-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I tried my hand at trolling cranks yesterday for about an hour, not a single bite that I could detect... I figured I would try because I have heard so much about it and my boat is set up pretty well for it with the Terrova. I set the cruise control for 1.7 mph and trolled 2 crankbaits, one yellow and one pink, in 12-16 feet of water. I cast one bait about half as far back as the other one and held a pole in each hand and waited for a bite. I would love to learn how to make this technique work. The lures I was using were specifically for crappie but other than color didn't look any different than the other crank baits. The package said they would dive 8-10 feet.

With only 2 lines out you don't have a lot of coverage with different baits and depth. Invest in some rod holders so that you can fish more than 2 poles. If I am by myself I will use 3 or 4 poles with rod holders. It is better if you have a partner to help when you get a fish on. Also, I don't troll as fast as you. I usually vary speeds from 1.2 to 1.4 mph. We will use different colors and models of crank baits until we find what the crappie like. I hope this helps and good luck!

justinp61
08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Forget the anchor , bouys are all you'll need to stay on the brush once you've located it, catch the fish that are on it , pick up the bouy and move to the next pile

Exactly.

Cmj
08-07-2013, 08:37 PM

X2. No need to anchor up over a brush pile.

pab1981
08-08-2013, 06:03 AM
A terrova isn't the easiest trolling motor to learn how to vertical fish beds with, the response time is just too slow. A cable steer TM is much better suited for the task if your serious about vertical fishing.

Crappie Greg
08-08-2013, 06:07 AM
A terrova isn't the easiest trolling motor to learn how to vertical fish beds with, the response time is just too slow. A cable steer TM is much better suited for the task if your serious about vertical fishing.

X2 and vertical jigging is true fishing

Cmj
08-08-2013, 06:51 AM
:popcorn

MAB
08-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the input and I'm sure this is true, but I'm not about to get rid of my Terrova. That thing is way too nice! I'll just focus on other ways to catch crappie that I am better set for equipment wise. I think I'll try marking the structure with a buoy, set the anchor lock and then cast over it.

chucktx
08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
that is the way to do it......set a bouy, then set the lock, then fish the bouy marker. you can move your rod quicker than you can use a cable tm.

CRIA1576
08-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Two anchors, bow and stern... Bow anchor upwind and then I ease the boat around with TM and drop stern to enable two fisherman to cast/jig from the side of the boat.

CRIA1576
08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Also enables guy running motor to fish without constantly maneuvering TM tiller (in my case) especially on windy days.

Chasing Ghosts
08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
***SNIP***
My boat came with decent electronics so I should be able to find the fish. I’m still having trouble controlling the boat. How do you stay on top of brush piles? I am all over the place with the trolling motor. I end up churning the water all up and probably scaring away all the fish! This spring I took off the junky Motor Guide trolling motor and replaced it with a new Terrova, which is nice, but still can’t stay on the brush pile and fish at the same time. What is the trick to this?

Add an iPilot to the Terrova

Approach the BP from downwind as you get over where you want to be use the Spot Lock
Coming in from down wind helps keep the boat oriented the same so you don't have the Terrova spinning a lot to keep position (NOT wrapping the cables around the shaft)

Cheers
Doug

Lowellhturner
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Would suggest during mid summer finding schools of shad and trolling below them or casting; larger (mostly female) crappie usually relate to prey exclusively, which in most lakes is shad...the biggest crappie relate to cover only during the spawn UNLESS there is an abundance of prey in or very near cover...

CRIA1576
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
The smaller lakes I fish in SW IA (<100 acres) are all reservoirs and do not have Shad as a forage base. All are mostly stained (<3' of visibility) due to high nutrient levels and algae blooms this time of year. This weekend I plan to lean heavily on dark/light contrasting plastics and small crank baits (Thank you CP) and trolling the basin and drop-offs once I can land a couple trolling rods and Okumas.

For now we will be drifting, vertical casting, and vertical jigging the man-made structure. However, I would love to hear any other tips for this type of fishing scenario.